Please check out this mod...
Forum: Obi Softbody
Last Post: josemendez
29-04-2024, 10:26 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 68

A whole bunch of questions and feedback
Posted by: brisingre - 06-12-2018, 10:42 PM - Forum: Obi Rope - No Replies

Just getting started with Obi rope so there's a lot of small questions in this thread.

1. There's nothing in the docs about the ObiStitcher component at all as far as I can tell, not even in the api docs.  How do I use it? Specifically, how do I make stitches through code? I'm trying to make rope bridges, which in the end is going to be far too much work to set up by hand I'm sure. (Setting up anything by hand with Obi rope seems to take me a long time.) I've had some success with using pin constraints to attach ropes together, but that seems much more complicated than it has to be...

2. Can I use tether constraints on resizable ropes? Can I use tether constraints on ropes with handles on both ends, or should I always have one end fixed? What else should I do to make my rope less stretchy?

3. Do I need to leave the spline script on my rope or should I get rid of it once I initialize? Can I do anything to reshape a rope without re-initializing it?

4. Is there a simpler way of generating a rope of a set length than messing with the end points of a spline? I feel like I shouldn't have to manually line up 4 points any time I want a rope that hangs straight down.

5. Obi Rope would be easier to use if some of the required links tried to fill themselves if left empty. For example, Initialize does nothing if the rope curve is not set. It would be nice to check the current GO for a curve component before giving up. Likewise, if solver is null when it's needed for something, it would be nice if it found one in the scene -- you usually only have one after all. This is simple enough that I can probably add it myself, I'll let you know how it goes.

6. What causes the error in the attached screenshot? I see it a lot. Am I doing something wrong? Is this a bug?

Thanks so much!

-Lou

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Print this item

Obi Rope Pin Constraint One frame behind
Posted by: CommonFruit - 05-12-2018, 10:13 PM - Forum: Obi Rope - Replies (9)

Hi, 
I'm using pin constraints to connect my rope to obiColliders on my character and their sword. These colliders are moved around during the characters animation. The simulation seems to work but the whole simulation is one frame behind the animation:
[Image: 0kI8lfc.png]
[Image: oCaC4T6.png]

I assume this is happening because the ObiSolver is updating before the animation but even changing the "Simulation Order" to "Late Update" doesn't fix the problem. 

I also don't think the problem lies with my constraint iterations because if you look closely at the images, the rope is in the correct position but just one frame delayed.

If anyone has any advice or thinks they know why this is happening it would be much appreciated!

If you need more info just let me know Sonrisa

Print this item

Fluid rendering - transparency / translucency
Posted by: Mitch@PG - 05-12-2018, 05:55 PM - Forum: Obi Fluid - Replies (3)

Hello,

I need to get fluid to be transparent; I've tried various set ups with the rendering but I've not been able to get this to work.  Is there a simple way to set this up with the assets provided in the package or will I need to mess with altering / writing shader code?  

Thanks!

Print this item

distance constraints
Posted by: TootsManuva - 05-12-2018, 04:46 PM - Forum: Obi Rope - Replies (2)

I am new to Unity so thanks in advance for your patience folks. I have a simple physics game set up where the player moves platforms around to get a bouncing ball from one point of the "course" to another. I want to constrain the movement of these platforms by attaching a rope between them and another fixed object. The problem is that the rope will stretch forever, no matter how much I change the distance constraints, so it does not restrict the movement of the platform. I hope someone can point me in the right direction on this.

Thanks.

Print this item

Butterfly net
Posted by: glueball - 04-12-2018, 01:53 PM - Forum: Obi Cloth - Replies (1)

I need to create a realistic butterfly net for a VR project. Would it be possible to do so with Obi Cloth? Ie. to attach a piece of cloth to a circular handle, and use a transparent texture with the network pattern.  If I buy a license for obi cloth, would I find some documentation to easily create something like that?

Many thanks!

Print this item

My OBI rope goes through the plane
Posted by: afinch - 03-12-2018, 03:48 AM - Forum: Obi Rope - Replies (1)

I got obi rope very recently and im a complete noob!
My rope keeps going through the floor, is there any way I can stop this? thanks

[Image: qAnHZ3Y]
https://imgur.com/a/qAnHZ3Y

Print this item

TimeScale and Consoles Supported
Posted by: misscelan - 29-11-2018, 09:18 AM - Forum: Obi Cloth - No Replies

Hello there,

Not sure if this should go here, we recently met in the IndieMad las weekend. 
I was checking your products because I'm in need of a cloth simulator.

Unity's cloth system does the job for me except when I start playing with TimeScale. Running at normal speed is ok, when I have some slow-mo gameplay scenes it holds it up for the most part, but when I pause my game and set the TimeScale values to values close to 0 it all goes bananas.

So my questions are:
-Does obi has the same poblem when TimeScale values are close to 0? 
-Does it allow to run the simulation independently of timescale (so I can run the cloth sim when the game is paused?
-The game is going to be relased in all consoles (XB1, PS4 and Switch) along with Oculus VR, does it support all those?

Thanks!
-rainynightcreations.com

Print this item

Saving Torn Cloth State
Posted by: threeguys - 28-11-2018, 07:01 PM - Forum: Obi Cloth - No Replies

Any ideas on how you'd go about saving the "torn state" of cloth between scenes?

Print this item

Any way to get cloth to become skin-tight?
Posted by: aelbannan - 28-11-2018, 04:48 PM - Forum: Obi Cloth - Replies (2)

Hi,

I'm wondering if there's any way to force the clothing to shrink as much as possible? Thanks.

Print this item

Sticky Cloth Behavior
Posted by: hecali_aj - 28-11-2018, 04:47 AM - Forum: Obi Cloth - No Replies

Hello! I'd just like some advice to point me in the right direction.
I like to use Obi Cloth to make a sticker that you can peel, and maybe even tear when you peel it wrong.
Is it possible with Obi Cloth?

Print this item