» Views: 110
RESET Obi Softbody
Forum: Obi Softbody
Last Post: spikebor
09-05-2024, 06:12 AM
» Replies: 11
» Views: 2,879

OnTriggerEnter like detection
Posted by: Lokeyyyy - 23-11-2019, 04:26 AM - Forum: Obi Rope - Replies (1)

Hello there, I would like to know if there is any method like OnTriggerEnter in Unity I can use for detection?  More precisely to know which particle has detected a Trigger/Collider
Thank you!

Print this item

Create rope at runtime
Posted by: Kirian - 23-11-2019, 04:26 AM - Forum: Obi Rope - Replies (9)

I've looked at the examples and a couple of threads on this forum and it seems that the API has been updated but the docs/tutorials weren't.
In the version I have (and it's the latest from the Asset Store which is 5.0?) the RuntimeRopeGenerator has been commented out (ObiCurve is missing) and it's not even possible to follow tutorial because ObiCatmullRomCurve is also missing Confundido
Every other example on this forum seems to be using one of these classes so I'm in the dark here.
Maybe I'm not looking in the right places, can anyone tell me where can I find a working example?

What I'm trying to do is:
- create a rope on player input, the start point of the rope should follow a specified object in the scene
- the rope needs to extend forward until it reaches an obstacle
- attach the end of the rope to the obstacle and remove/cut it from the initial "spawner" object

Print this item

Video tutorials
Posted by: josemendez - 22-11-2019, 07:21 PM - Forum: Announcements - Replies (1)

As I promised before, I will dedicate a big portion of my time to create tutorial videos for all Obi 5.0 assets, and publish them in our Youtube channel. There's a few ones already:

Cloth:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...akLOwboUJQ

Rope:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...Kns3UmsJ8B

Fluid:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...cnaiy5PYL_

Softbodies:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...3wTse_r6x8

I'm not a professional video editor, and I have a funny accent, but will do my best to get as much knowledge across as I can. Expect new videos to be added soon. Any kind of feedback or (constructive) criticism is most welcome!

Print this item

Problem with the Obi Solver Structure
Posted by: Bill Sansky - 21-11-2019, 05:47 PM - Forum: General - Replies (14)

Hi,

First of all congratulation on releasing the 5.0 version: the edition of ropes definitely got much easier, I like it!

I must, however, come with a major concern when it comes to the project structure: the fact that actors need to be children of an obi solver is a big problem, for a few reasons:

• It makes it impossible to create rope prefabs and to edit them in prefab mode, which is now core in production for unity 2019+: the ropes do not have a solver in this, so it can't be edited properly. But most of my work, and I suspect most of the users will be in the same scenario, revolves around nested prefabs.
  • It makes it hard to link to a solver when being in a multiscene scenario, which is I think very common in current Unity's workflow
  • It forces a hierarchy logic that is often not desirable, especially so when the solvers are not colliding with each other.
Would it be possible to have an architecture that would link the solver through a scriptable object reference for instance? This way it's compatible with both a proper prefab workflow, a multi-scene project architecture, and makes the hierarchy free?

I have another similar problem concerning the new attachment system: because it must be a component on the same game object as the obi actor, it makes the architecture not very flexible and not easy to use with the classic drag and drop for fields. If I have a custom component that wants to activate or deactivate that attachment in runtime, linking them in the editor becomes an annoyance. 
Would it be possible to make it a component that can be added anywhere with a reference to the obi actor it constrains? this would be much more flexible.

Except for those two points, thanks for the awesome work!

Print this item

Question about LWRP in 5.0
Posted by: TheDopple - 21-11-2019, 05:06 PM - Forum: Obi Fluid - Replies (10)

Hello, recent Obi Fluid user here!

Now that 5.0 is out, with "Experimental LWRP Support", How would I actually test this feature?

I'm using Unity version 2019.3.0b11 with the Universal Render Pipeline (Which should work the same as LWRP), this is a blank project with the Fluid Package

I have the fluid rendererer feature attached to my Pipeline asset, but the fluid still won't render (But I can get the particle renderer to work)

Is there something I'm missing, or is the update not yet compatible with URP?

[attachment=480]

Print this item

Cloth penetration on animated mesh
Posted by: Jonathan - 20-11-2019, 04:23 PM - Forum: Obi Cloth - Replies (4)

Hi Obi team,

I'am lucky to test Obi V5 beta, you made a great job, congrats.
I'm new with Obi and i'am trying to understand some issues i have.

I test Obi with Unity 2019.2.2f1.
I have an animated mesh (with animator set to update mode Animate Physics) and a cloth attached to hip bone. I set simple obi colliders (capsule and sphere), set blueprint etc.
The behavior of the cloth is quite good but i have penetration. 

On the capture debug particles are inside the colliders. What i missed? Is this issue is rely on the update order (unity animation, obi fixed update,...) ?

Do you have any idea how i can fix this or a workaround?
I tried to increase colliders thickness or particle size but it's not satisfying. 
Your character clothing demo is the goal i'am trying to reach.

Thx.
Jonathan

Print this item

How constraints Z position in 3D world
Posted by: Zavhoz - 20-11-2019, 12:55 PM - Forum: Obi Softbody - Replies (10)

Hi! How constraints Z position in 3D world for soft body? If switch Mode in solver to 2D, then all meshes is broken.

Print this item

Obi roadmap
Posted by: josemendez - 20-11-2019, 12:36 PM - Forum: Announcements - Replies (25)

With the release of 5.0, we've designed things in a way that allows us to completely decouple simulation data (blueprints) from the simulation engine (solver+updater). This also resulted in better backwards compatibility for future versions, as changes in the way data is processed or laid out in memory at runtime will not necessarily affect the way data is stored in serialized form. The resulting workflows are also much simpler, imho.

This is not an arbitrary decision. Our plan moving forwards is to introduce interchangeable simulation engines: One of them will be the current native library, but we have another two in mind:

- A high-performance C# implementation based on Jobs + Burst. Expect not much difference in performance with the current engine, as we already use multithreading and SIMD internally. However, this will allow to support all platforms, and to include the full engine source code with the asset.

- A compute-shader based engine. Expect a huge increase in performance, but also quite some limitations in functionality.

This won't happen overnight, but we have already paved the way. Personally I'm very excited with the road ahead Sonrisa.

Let me know your thoughts on this!

Print this item

Obi 5.0 is live
Posted by: josemendez - 20-11-2019, 12:17 PM - Forum: Announcements - No Replies

Hi all,

Obi 5.0: Cloth, Rope, Fluid and Softbody are now available in the Asset Store. Compatible with Unity 2019.2.9 or higher.

A word of warning: before upgrading your existing projects, please note that Obi 5.0 is not backwards compatible with 4.x. Workflow and APIs have changed quite considerably compared to previous versions, so my advice is to use 5.0 when starting new projects, or if you're willing to spend a significant amount of time upgrading your existing project.

We have also updated and extended the online documentation:
http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/tutorials/

We will continue updating the docs, and uploading minor Obi versions packed with improvements and bugfixes. Also, I've allocated time in my agenda to make decent video-tutorials, which is something pretty much everyone has requested. I will be dropping them on our youtube channel one by one as I make them.

As always, we're dead set on making Obi as fast, versatile and robust as possible. If you have questions, comments, requests or think you found a bug, do not hesitate to contact us.

cheers,

Print this item

Anyway to reset inv masses
Posted by: manurocker95 - 20-11-2019, 09:19 AM - Forum: Obi Softbody - No Replies

Hi! Now I finally got everything working thanks to Jose, but sometimes the softbody gets stuck in the air and I think it is due to invmasses and velocities set to zero, so, is there a way to reset them without saving the previous one in variables?

Print this item