Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help  Towel simulation in Quest
Hi,

I am working on a VR project where I need to grab a towel using a controller and then fold and unfold it, as well as rub the cloth on other objects with collision.

Could you please suggest possible ways to achieve the above simulation?

Thanks.
(12-06-2024, 07:31 AM)balaji.v Wrote: Hi,

I am working on a VR project where I need to grab a towel using a controller and then fold and unfold it, as well as rub the cloth on other objects with collision.

Could you please suggest possible ways to achieve the above simulation?

Thanks.

Hi Balaji,

There's not much involved in doing this. You just need a basic cloth setup with collision detection.

Then you need to decide on a what for the user to interact with the cloth. This can get more complicated depending on which kind of interaction you want, for instance if you want the user to be able to grab it by specific particles you'd use contact callbacks to detect when the hand is close to specific particles, then use the particles API to move these particles around.

kind regards,
(12-06-2024, 07:37 AM)josemendez Wrote: Hi Balaji,

There's not much involved in doing this. You just need a basic cloth setup with collision detection.

Then you need to decide on a what for the user to interact with the cloth. This can get more complicated depending on which kind of interaction you want, for instance if you want the user to be able to grab it by specific particles you'd use contact callbacks to detect when the hand is close to specific particles, then use the particles API to move these particles around.

kind regards,
Thank you for your reply. 
Instead of directly attaching the particle to the hand, shall I attach the particle to another invisible object (such as a cube or cylinder) and then grab the invisible object with the Quest controller?
(14-06-2024, 12:38 PM)balaji.v Wrote: Thank you for your reply. 
Instead of directly attaching the particle to the hand, shall I attach the particle to another invisible object (such as a cube or cylinder) and then grab the invisible object with the Quest controller?

Yes, you wouldn't be able to scale it otherwise. The idea is that you attach the cloth to a transform, then drive the transform's scale using the Quest controller.