Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help  Wrapping rope not working in URP
I'm trying to wrap a rope around a pole in URP. It is passing through the pole still even after I have attached the wrappable script to the pole. All other settings are correct also, so not sure if it is because I am in URP?
(15-06-2022, 09:09 AM)Navvv Wrote: I'm trying to wrap a rope around a pole in URP. It is passing through the pole still even after I have attached the wrappable script to the pole. All other settings are correct also, so not sure if it is because I am in URP?

Hi there!

URP is a render pipeline, it has nothing to do with physics at all. Physics work the same regardless of which render pipeline you're using, since the only purpose of a render pipeline is to *draw* things: it doesn't have any say in how objects behave or how they move around.

The "Wrappable" sample script is used in the "WrapTheRope" sample scene. It's added to the pegs in that scene, and its only purpose is to determine if a peg is in contact with the rope or not and change their color accordingly. It has no effect on rope physics either.

If the rope is passing trough the pole, make sure the pole has a ObiCollider component. You'll also need to take a look at your rope blueprint settings (specially the resolution property, which determines the amount of particles per length unit) and your solver settings (which determine simulation quality).

Try increasing your blueprint's resolution, and increase the amount of distance and collision iterations in your solver. You might also need to increase the amount of substeps used to update your solvers. For an in-depth explanation of how physics work in Obi and how iteration/substeps affect the results, see: http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/manua...gence.html

Obi is aimed at intermediate/advanced users, it assumes you have a fair amount of experience with physics. Sounds like you're starting with Unity and/or game making, so my advice would be to get the basics down first. Let me know if I can be of any help! Sonrisa

kind regards,
(15-06-2022, 09:25 AM)josemendez Wrote: Hi there!

URP is a render pipeline, it has nothing to do with physics at all. Physics work the same regardless of which render pipeline you're using, since the only purpose of a render pipeline is to *draw* things: it doesn't have any say in how objects behave or how they move around.

The "Wrappable" sample script is used in the "WrapTheRope" sample scene. It's added to the pegs in that scene, and its only purpose is to determine if a peg is in contact with the rope or not and change their color accordingly. It has no effect on rope physics either.

If the rope is passing trough the pole, make sure the pole has a ObiCollider component. You'll also need to take a look at your rope blueprint settings (specially the resolution property, which determines the amount of particles per length unit) and your solver settings (which determine simulation quality).

Try increasing your blueprint's resolution, and increase the amount of distance and collision iterations in your solver. You might also need to increase the amount of substeps used to update your solvers. For an in-depth explanation of how physics work in Obi and how iteration/substeps affect the results, see: http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/manua...gence.html

Obi is aimed at intermediate/advanced users, it assumes you have a fair amount of experience with physics. Sounds like you're starting with Unity and/or game making, so my advice would be to get the basics down first. Let me know if I can be of any help! Sonrisa

kind regards,
Thanks for the explanation. I have checked and double checked everything comparing it with the wraptherope scene but cannot seem to figure out the issue. Would you be able to take a look at my scene? I tried attaching it to the post but it says .unity files are not allowed. Can I email it to you?
(15-06-2022, 08:47 PM)Navvv Wrote: Thanks for the explanation. I have checked and double checked everything comparing it with the wraptherope scene but cannot seem to figure out the issue. Would you be able to take a look at my scene? I tried attaching it to the post but it says .unity files are not allowed. Can I email it to you?

Sure! Send it to support(at)virtualmethodstudio.com and I’ll take a look at it.