Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help  Is obi rope/bone a good solution for active ragdoll implementation?
Hello, I am developing a third person game with non-humanoid players and enemies/npc: insect-like and reptile-like characters with different body structures(they can have tails, antennas and other different kind of limbs/members which will be used for attacking/defending) and complex locomotion system(they can walk on walls or upside-down, can jump, moving objects will push them away etc).
What i mostly want to achieve is to make the characters behave like active ragdolls so that the limbs mentioned above and the rest of the body will not pass through objects, and also external objects forces which should include the other enemies who attack me(for example getting hit by a tail or by throwing a rock) should make the creature react to hits by moving and rotating the hitted part of the body or the entire body depending on the hit force. 
Also most of the animation will be made procedural using inverse kinematics.

Now i am not here to ask how to do it Gran sonrisa but i want to know if obi rope/bone components is helpful for creating this kind of active ragdoll because browsing obi bone setup and other examples gave me the impression that it can make the tasks easier.
(17-03-2022, 12:15 AM)thetrapman Wrote: Hello, I am developing a third person game with non-humanoid players and enemies/npc: insect-like and reptile-like characters with different body structures(they can have tails, antennas and other different kind of limbs/members which will be used for attacking/defending) and complex locomotion system(they can walk on walls or upside-down, can jump, moving objects will push them away etc).
What i mostly want to achieve is to make the characters behave like active ragdolls so that the limbs mentioned above and the rest of the body will not pass through objects, and also external objects forces which should include the other enemies who attack me(for example getting hit by a tail or by throwing a rock) should make the creature react to hits by moving and rotating the hitted part of the body or the entire body depending on the hit force. 
Also most of the animation will be made procedural using inverse kinematics.

Now i am not here to ask how to do it Gran sonrisa but i want to know if obi rope/bone components is helpful for creating this kind of active ragdoll because browsing obi bone setup and other examples gave me the impression that it can make the tasks easier.

Hi there!

ObiBone (which is included in the ObiRope package) can be used to add secondary motion to character limbs/appendages, however it will not turn the entire character into an active rag doll, by your definition of it. If you apply ObiBone to a character's arm, the arm will react to external objects while still following animations, but will not cause the entire character body to move as a result.

kind regards,