Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some questions about point editing.
Hello,
 i've seen manual about softbody point edition (and about performance) and could not understand some things:
1) screenshots show editing a "surface" point versions, is "volume" one is similarily editable?
2) after some of points are removed, do those no longer affect performance, or those are still have to be calculated?
3) if a mesh contains faces/vertexes inside its volume, will those faces/vertices be used for points by "surface" softbody point builder?

Also am curious if it is possible to make softbody glued to animated mesh or making an "envelope" softbody around animated mesh (jelly man with bones inside)?
So that resulting softbody would generally follow character's bones/limbs with some jiggle/deformations from hits. Which way might be best if such behaviour is possible at all with obi: surface softbody, volume softbody or balooned cloth?
1) The volume editor is basically identical to the surface editor. Point selection/edition is done in the same way. It only has minor visualization differences.
2) They no longer affect performance.
3) Yes, they will be used. The "surface" point builder treats the mesh as a point cloud: it considers isolated vertices as potential particles. The "volume" one voxelizes the volume enclosed by the mesh, then places a particle at each voxel's center. After that initial particle generation step, both methods use euclidean distances between particles to generate shape-matching clusters.

Quote:Also am curious if it is possible to make softbody glued to animated mesh or making an "envelope" softbody around animated mesh (jelly man with bones inside)?

Glueing a softbody to an animated mesh is quite easy: create a ObiParticleAttachment, set the target transform as the bone you're interested in glueing the softbody to, and its particle group to the one you're interested in glueing. See: http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/tutor...ments.html

Note you can't however blend animation and simulation within the same softbody: mesh vertices must either be simulated or animated, you can't blend both as you can with cloth (using skin constraints).

kind regards,
(11-05-2020, 08:13 AM)josemendez Wrote: Glueing a softbody to an animated mesh is quite easy: create a ObiParticleAttachment, set the target transform as the bone you're interested in glueing the softbody to, and its particle group to the one you're interested in glueing. See: http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/tutor...ments.html

Note you can't however blend animation and simulation within the same softbody: mesh vertices must either be simulated or animated, you can't blend both as you can with cloth (using skin constraints).

kind regards,

So, presume i have a hollow model with outer and inner sides.
1) How should i structure its edges/sides so that either surface or volume softbody version "connects" their particles.
2) After that, Can i select "inner" particles to be bound to bones to be animates, while "outer" are simulated, but still connected(elastically) to those animated inner ones.
3) Can some of particles be hidden to allow editing underlying ones without disabling them completely?
(22-05-2020, 11:18 AM)urtrangar Wrote: So, presume i have a hollow model with outer and inner sides.
1) How should i structure its edges/sides so that either surface or volume softbody version "connects" their particles.
2) After that, Can i select "inner" particles to be bound to bones to be animates, while "outer" are simulated, but still connected(elastically) to those animated inner ones.
3) Can some of particles be hidden to allow editing underlying ones without disabling them completely?

1) Particle-based softbodies are a meshless method. Meshes are treated "vertex clouds", that is, any connectivity information between vertices (edges) is ignored. Particles are created at vertex positions, then particles are assigned to softbody clusters based on their proximity. There's no way to explicitly "connect" a certain particle to others, as that would require mesh connectivity information, and drop support for non-manifold meshes.

2) This should be done by attaching the desired particles to a bone, see:
http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/tutor...tbody.html
Note that as explained in the manual, particles must be either simulated or driven by a bone, you can't have a particle that's say 75% animated and 25% simulated.

3) You can use the culling options to automatically hide particles assigned to vertices that look away from the camera. However it is not possible to manually hide specific particles as of now.