Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help  How to optimize collisions?
(16-10-2024, 02:00 PM)josemendez Wrote: This doesn't mean much. When you pull the cloth towards the fire, fire particles cover a larger portion of the screen. As you pull the cloth away, it occludes part of the fire. In other words: there's more fire rendered when the cloth is over the fire.

There's a very simple test you can do: disable the ObiCollider component in the frier's box collider. Does the fps drop still happen? If it doesn't, it does have something to do with physics. If it still happens, physics don't play any role in it.

Yes when collider is disabled then framerate does not drop, if i throw the cloth on the floor (there is collider on the floor as well) and then look at fire then frame rate still drops because cloth is in contact with floor collider.

I'm also very confused it seems like Obi Physics is stable in profiler but as soon as Obi cloth collides with any collider the frame rate drops and profiler shows rendering spike.
(16-10-2024, 02:13 PM)vrtraining Wrote: Yes when collider is disabled then framerate does not drop,

ObiCollider or the entire collider? It’s an important distinction: disabling the collider object will disable all physics (queries, triggers, rigidbody physics, etc) while disabling the ObiCollider component will only disable cloth collisions.

(16-10-2024, 02:13 PM)vrtraining Wrote: I'm also very confused it seems like Obi Physics is stable in profiler but as soon as Obi cloth collides with any collider the frame rate drops and profiler shows rendering spike.

This behavior you’re describing doesn’t make any sense, and isn’t consistent with the data shown by the profiler either. Collision detection in Obi doesn’t even show up in the profiler graph (it takes less than 0.2 ms) so it cannot be the cause.

To help with this any further I would need to test the actual project. If possible, send it to support(at)virtualmethodstudio.com for us to take a closer look.

kind regards,
(16-10-2024, 02:43 PM)josemendez Wrote: ObiCollider or the entire collider? It’s an important distinction: disabling the collider object will disable all physics (queries, triggers, rigidbody physics, etc) while disabling the ObiCollider component will only disable cloth collisions.

This behavior you’re describing doesn’t make any sense, and isn’t consistent with the data shown by the profiler either. Collision detection in Obi doesn’t even show up in the profiler graph (it takes less than 0.2 ms) so it cannot be the cause.

To help with this any further I would need to test the actual project. If possible, send it to support(at)virtualmethodstudio.com for us to take a closer look.

kind regards,

Its Obi collider only, because there is no other collision except Obi collider. I agree this is quite confusing as well thats why I posted it here so I can get any hint, its only happening in Quest 2, on PC it doesn't happen since processing is not that significant.

It wont be possible for me to send the whole project as its quite large but I try to simulate it if possible in an isolated environment and then send it.

I'm further investigating the issue, i'll post it here if I find anything.