Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help  Can I manage multiple colliders with a single Obi collider?
Hello, I attempted to use a mesh collider in conjunction with the Obi SkinnedCloth, but I ran into performance issues, so I'm looking to utilize sphere colliders instead.
I've succeeded in placing colliders according to the shape of my mesh;
however, I haven't found a way to manage the sphere colliders that were generated through the Obi collider.

As shown in the attached image, is it possible to manage the sphere colliders that were added as game objects with a single Obi collider?

(16-04-2024, 04:09 AM)ziziza93 Wrote: Hello, I attempted to use a mesh collider in conjunction with the Obi SkinnedCloth, but I ran into performance issues, so I'm looking to utilize sphere colliders instead.
I've succeeded in placing colliders according to the shape of my mesh;
however, I haven't found a way to manage the sphere colliders that were generated through the Obi collider.

As shown in the attached image, is it possible to manage the sphere colliders that were added as game objects with a single Obi collider?

Hi!

You need one ObiCollider per SphereCollider, as it’s not possible to approximate multiple spheres (or boxes, or capsules) with just one collider.

Kind regards,
(16-04-2024, 06:56 AM)josemendez Wrote: Hi!

You need one ObiCollider per SphereCollider, as it’s not possible to approximate multiple spheres (or boxes, or capsules) with just one collider.

Kind regards,

Thank you for your response.

Due to the continuous collision between the mesh collider and skinned cloth, the performance degradation is severe. Is there a way for the cloth to stop colliding and stay in place after a certain period of time has passed since play?
(16-04-2024, 07:16 AM)ziziza93 Wrote: Thank you for your response.

Due to the continuous collision between the mesh collider and skinned cloth, the performance degradation is severe.

MeshColliders are extremely costly. In case you're trying to get the cloth to collide against a MeshCollider that's being updated every frame - which for some reason is something I see a lot of people attempting to do -, it's even worse since you're rebuilding the collider's internal acceleration structure every frame.

For character clothing, you should use the typical solution for games which are skin constraints. These involve no collision detection at all, and yield cloth that animates together with the character.

For collision detection against a complex static mesh, Signed distance fields offer similar quality to MeshColliders at a much lower cost.

(16-04-2024, 07:16 AM)ziziza93 Wrote: Is there a way for the cloth to stop colliding and stay in place after a certain period of time has passed since play?

You could set the solver's sleep threshold to 1 after some time. This will freeze all particles in place.

kind regards,