Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help  Rod model and other Fly Fishing questions
(03-04-2023, 02:21 AM)Balou Wrote: When I bring the rod from the back, it's usually the tip of the line that goes first instead of last as you can see in the video the fly is last and driven by the rest of the line. For me it looks like it's driven by a rebound or elasticity of the line how can I avoid that?

Hi!

It seems the rod is way too light. Because of this the tip of the rod doesn't bobble at all and has no inertia of its own, since there's not enough mass pulling it around. Try increasing the rod's rotational mass (in the path editor), this controls how much rotational inertia the segments in the rod have.

(03-04-2023, 02:21 AM)Balou Wrote: When I try to "deploy" my line, it also has a rebound, adding damping doesn't help much and makes the casting harder.

Not enough mass at the tip of the line.

(03-04-2023, 02:21 AM)Balou Wrote: Probably because of the rod, but my line is not going very straight even if my movement is right, I've read that it's difficult to have a more rigid rod, what are my options?

Same as the previous one, not enough mass at the tip of the line. When casting, the mass of the fly/bait is very high compared to the line's so you're basically throwing the bait like a projectile using the rod as a spring, and the line - that has very little mass - just follows it. Since there's no bait here, the line is free to move any way it wants and the chances for it to go in a straight trajectory are very slim. If you try taking a regular rope from one end and then try to cast its other end in a straight line in the real world, you'll realize it is pretty much impossible: you're essentially throwing a large spaghetti around Guiño.

(03-04-2023, 02:21 AM)Balou Wrote: If I use a physic rod (configurable joint) how can I get the impulse from the rod?

Not sure I understand this one: do you mean the impulses exchanged between the configurable joint and the rope?

(03-04-2023, 02:21 AM)Balou Wrote: When changing the length of the rope, is the mass automatically changing too?

Yes. Increasing the length of the rope creates new particles in the rope, each particle has a given mass (that you can specify in the path editor) so more rope = more particles = more mass.

(03-04-2023, 02:21 AM)Balou Wrote: Is it possible to use a custom model with a rod? Right now I've a custom handle but when moving my hand there is a slight delay at the connection (attachments static) so it's not really a solution ...

Yes, you can use bone hierarchies:
http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/manua...setup.html

Internally they use the exact same constraints and structure as rods, but they're built based on a skeleton structure - instead of a spline like rods are.

Hope to have helped somewhat! let me know if you need further assistance Sonrisa

kind regards,

Messages In This Thread
RE: Rod model and other Fly Fishing questions - by josemendez - 03-04-2023, 07:27 AM