Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help  The easiest way to create complex rope?
(10-11-2018, 04:01 PM)PlayLikePro Wrote: This is my end goal of simulation Gran sonrisa :
(or please click the attachment to see image)
the strings in the image that holds the apple up is one continuous string that goes through multiple holes on the frame.
I chose to use digital simulation over making physical models because we want to produce a lot of different weaving patterns, say 60 distinct ones.

My question is: how to most efficiently create these web structure?
Since I'm completely new to Unity and more comfortable using Rhino,
s there anyway we can turn curves from rhino into obi-rope?
Or does it have to be done in Unity?

Btw, this is a great product!
Thanks in advance!
Po

Hi there,

Mmmm...if you intend to simulate this using particle-based ropes, you're in for a lot of headaches.

The rope shown in the image seems to be under a lot of tension, lots of self-collisions and collisions against small holes, all of which require extreme precision to be solved. Collisions and self-collisions in Obi are resolved at the particle level, which is great for fast realtime stuff, but fails when there's a lot of collisions and/or the rope tension is high (as gaps might open between particles, and other particles can slip trough).

Is it really necessary to perform a fully realtime dynamic simulation of this? It looks like a static sculpture, without much movement going on. You'd be wasting away CPU cycles/processing power unless there's a fair deal of realtime dynamics involved.

If you're worried about the physical plausibility of the resulting web of interwoven threads, then perform an offline simulation, as you can spare as much simulation time as you need to get the required accuracy. Once it is finished simply import the result (splines, meshes, whatever you choose) into Unity.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The easiest way to create complex rope? - by josemendez - 10-11-2018, 04:27 PM