Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Feedback How to Controll Rope Elements/segmrents and have better collision
Hi!

(25-08-2024, 02:14 AM)Barax94 Wrote: Shown at the end of the attched video

There's no videos attached to your post. Maybe you forgot to paste the link - or if using the forum's attachment system, to click "AddAttachment" after selecting the file?

(25-08-2024, 02:14 AM)Barax94 Wrote: How to control specific segemnts as to freeze their position once created and only move the last n-ones

Just set the particle's inverse mass to zero. This will make them ignore any dynamics simulation and just stay in place. See:
http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/manua...icles.html

(25-08-2024, 02:14 AM)Barax94 Wrote: How to have collison not be broken no matter how fast or streched is the rope

That's simply impossible. You can't expect the rope (or any other simulated object for that matter) to move infinitely fast or stretch an infinite amount and collision detection to still work robustly, as that would essentially require infinite spatial and temporal simulation resolution and hence, infinite memory. CCD can only work to an extent, and when the rope is too stretched (under too much tension) collisions will be missed.

To improve simulation quality, you can increase rope blueprint resolution (spatial resolution) and/or increase the amount of solver substeps (temporal resolution). Another typical solution used in many games is to simply limit how fast the user can move objects around. See our troubleshooting guide: http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/manua...oting.html

(25-08-2024, 02:14 AM)Barax94 Wrote: How to stop/ disable the tension without the comprimising the dyniamic bhaviour of the attched ends

Not sure what you mean here: tension is a force along the length of the rope that keeps it from stretching. If you disabled tension, you'd essentially have no rope simulation and all rope particles would be free to move anywhere.

(25-08-2024, 02:14 AM)Barax94 Wrote: I can stop this tension by making the start attchment as Static by then i lose the colliding 

This doesn't stop tension but quite the opposite: allows it to increase indefinitely. The attached rigidbody will ignore the tension force (the rope is still fully affected by it), so no matter under how much tension the rope is the object attached to the rope will be able to move around and continue stretching the rope - increasing tension. Once the tension in the rope is sufficiently high, collisions will start failing: in the real world, that would be the equivalent of the rope and/or the objects it's colliding against snapping/breaking.

I'm not sure I understand your use case, to be honest. If you could share a video of what you're looking to achieve it would help.

kind regards,

Messages In This Thread
RE: How to Controll Rope Elements/segmrents and have better collision - by josemendez - 25-08-2024, 12:20 PM