Obi Official Forum

Full Version: Assertion failed on expression: 'offset + size <= bufLen'
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

Followed the quick setup guide.  Brought in an Obi Solver into the scene, set a child object with a Skin Mesh Renderer up with the Obi Cloth Component (along with it's additional components all left as default), then clicked initialize.

After hitting play, I get slammed with this error message:

Assertion failed on expression: 'offset + size <= bufLen'

Over and over again.  Everything in the setup was not really modified a part from bringing in the appropriate data for setting up the Game Object.  Has anyone had to deal with this issue and/or know how to deal with it?

I've brought just the Model into a scene and set it up, got the error message when it's simulating.  In our main scene, as soon as the character is to animate through a Timeline, the character freezes up and the child object on the character isn't getting affected by the Obi Cloth.

Thanks,
Cole
(06-03-2019, 04:50 PM)azevedco Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,

Followed the quick setup guide.  Brought in an Obi Solver into the scene, set a child object with a Skin Mesh Renderer up with the Obi Cloth Component (along with it's additional components all left as default), then clicked initialize.

After hitting play, I get slammed with this error message:

Over and over again.  Everything in the setup was not really modified a part from bringing in the appropriate data for setting up the Game Object.  Has anyone had to deal with this issue and/or know how to deal with it?

I've brought just the Model into a scene and set it up, got the error message when it's simulating.  In our main scene, as soon as the character is to animate through a Timeline, the character freezes up and the child object on the character isn't getting affected by the Obi Cloth.

Thanks,
Cole

Hi,

Nope, this is the first time I've seen such issue. Can you share a bit more about your setup?

- Did you set up the SkinnedMeshRenderer manually? If so, skinning won't work at all. because it will have no bones. This is always automatically set up by Unity when you drag a character into the scene (or any other object making use of skeletal animation for that matter). If the object has animated bones, Unity will add and set up a SkinnedMeshRenderer automatically for you.

- Did you create a topology asset matching the mesh used in the skinned mesh renderer, and fed it to the ObiCloth component?
- How dense is your mesh? Is there a chance you can share it? (to support(at)virtualmethodstudio.com)
(06-03-2019, 04:57 PM)josemendez Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,

Nope, this is the first time I've seen such issue. Can you share a bit more about your setup?

- Did you set up the SkinnedMeshRenderer manually? If so, skinning won't work at all. because it will have no bones. This is always automatically set up by Unity when you drag a character into the scene (or any other object making use of skeletal animation for that matter). If the object has animated bones, Unity will add and set up a SkinnedMeshRenderer automatically for you.

- Did you create a topology asset matching the mesh used in the skinned mesh renderer, and fed it to the ObiCloth component?
- How dense is your mesh? Is there a chance you can share it? (to support(at)virtualmethodstudio.com)

Hi Jose Mendez,

Thanks for the quick response.
Unfortunately our character model is currently under NDA and I won't be able to share.

However, i'll include some screen shots of it's import settings if that helps.

I did not set up the SkinnedMeshRenderer manually, I believe they've already been set up from our Art team along with the Rigged Bone structure.  Specifically, what i'm trying to apply Obi Cloth to is the Cape of our character, from what i've heard, the few top level bones of the cape hierarchy is being animated to assist with directing the flow of the Obi Cloth controlled portion of the cape.

Yup, i've created the appropriate topology asset to match the Cape Mesh and fed it to the Obi Cloth component.

The Cape has about 856 triangles and 488 vertices.
(06-03-2019, 05:29 PM)azevedco Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Jose Mendez,

Thanks for the quick response.
Unfortunately our character model is currently under NDA and I won't be able to share.

However, i'll include some screen shots of it's import settings if that helps.

I did not set up the SkinnedMeshRenderer manually, I believe they've already been set up from our Art team along with the Rigged Bone structure.  Specifically, what i'm trying to apply Obi Cloth to is the Cape of our character, from what i've heard, the few top level bones of the cape hierarchy is being animated to assist with directing the flow of the Obi Cloth controlled portion of the cape.

Yup, i've created the appropriate topology asset to match the Cape Mesh and fed it to the Obi Cloth component.

The Cape has about 856 triangles and 488 vertices.

Hi,

The import settings seem fine, but they do not give us much info to work with as pretty much any settings combination should work. The only thing that comes to mind is the mesh being non-manifold, as non-manifold meshes are not supported. The topology asset can sometimes spot the non-manifoldness and a warning message will appear, but many malformations cannot be detected. You'd have to check it in your modeling package.
Hi,

I'm getting the same issue with my own geometry and scene, but only on a Mac. The same mesh and scene works on my Windows machine with no errors. The CharacterCloth sample scene provided with Obi Cloth is also showing the same errors on the Mac, but not the Windows machine. 

Both machines are using Unity 2018.3.5f1 and set to the "PC, Mac & Linux Standalone" platform. The target platforms are different though, the Windows machine is set to "Windows" and the Mac is set to "Mac OS X". 

The full error message i'm receiving is:

0   Unity                               0x000000010197460c _Z13GetStacktracei + 92
1   Unity                               0x00000001001874fb _Z17DebugStringToFileRK21DebugStringToFileData + 795
2   Unity                               0x000000010078ab7b _ZN11BufferMetal10BeginWriteEmm + 811
3   Unity                               0x000000010078a7cd _ZN18GfxDeviceMetalBase12UpdateBufferEP9GfxBufferPKv20GfxUpdateBufferFlags + 189
4   Unity                               0x0000000102a5e1f0 _ZN15GfxDeviceWorker10RunCommandER20ThreadedStreamBuffer + 27200
5   Unity                               0x000000010078eeec GfxDeviceWorkerAutoreleasePoolProxy + 60
6   Unity                               0x0000000102a61a20 _ZN15GfxDeviceWorker6RunExtER20ThreadedStreamBuffer + 160
7   Unity                               0x0000000102a574c1 _ZN15GfxDeviceWorker18RunGfxDeviceWorkerEPv + 145
8   Unity                               0x0000000100e68d22 _ZN6Thread16RunThreadWrapperEPv + 1234
9   libsystem_pthread.dylib             0x00007fff5e6d9661 _pthread_body + 340
10  libsystem_pthread.dylib             0x00007fff5e6d950d _pthread_body + 0
11  libsystem_pthread.dylib             0x00007fff5e6d8bf9 thread_start + 13
(13-03-2019, 11:27 AM)MattFF Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,

I'm getting the same issue with my own geometry and scene, but only on a Mac. The same mesh and scene works on my Windows machine with no errors. The CharacterCloth sample scene provided with Obi Cloth is also showing the same errors on the Mac, but not the Windows machine. 

Both machines are using Unity 2018.3.5f1 and set to the "PC, Mac & Linux Standalone" platform. The target platforms are different though, the Windows machine is set to "Windows" and the Mac is set to "Mac OS X". 

The full error message i'm receiving is:

0   Unity                               0x000000010197460c _Z13GetStacktracei + 92
1   Unity                               0x00000001001874fb _Z17DebugStringToFileRK21DebugStringToFileData + 795
2   Unity                               0x000000010078ab7b _ZN11BufferMetal10BeginWriteEmm + 811
3   Unity                               0x000000010078a7cd _ZN18GfxDeviceMetalBase12UpdateBufferEP9GfxBufferPKv20GfxUpdateBufferFlags + 189
4   Unity                               0x0000000102a5e1f0 _ZN15GfxDeviceWorker10RunCommandER20ThreadedStreamBuffer + 27200
5   Unity                               0x000000010078eeec GfxDeviceWorkerAutoreleasePoolProxy + 60
6   Unity                               0x0000000102a61a20 _ZN15GfxDeviceWorker6RunExtER20ThreadedStreamBuffer + 160
7   Unity                               0x0000000102a574c1 _ZN15GfxDeviceWorker18RunGfxDeviceWorkerEPv + 145
8   Unity                               0x0000000100e68d22 _ZN6Thread16RunThreadWrapperEPv + 1234
9   libsystem_pthread.dylib             0x00007fff5e6d9661 _pthread_body + 340
10  libsystem_pthread.dylib             0x00007fff5e6d950d _pthread_body + 0
11  libsystem_pthread.dylib             0x00007fff5e6d8bf9 thread_start + 13

Hi,

I develop on Mac (MacPro - mid 2014 and a MacBook Air) and I've never encountered this issue.

The stack trace does not contain anything Obi-related, things like:

"GfxDeviceMetalBase UpdateBuffer GfxBuffer UpdateBufferFlags
BufferMetal BeginWrite"

make me think it could be a Metal related issue. Does it happen if you switch to a different rendering API?
(13-03-2019, 11:54 AM)josemendez Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,

I develop on Mac (MacPro - mid 2014 and a MacBook Air) and I've never encountered this issue.

The stack trace does not contain anything Obi-related, things like:

"GfxDeviceMetalBase UpdateBuffer GfxBuffer UpdateBufferFlags
BufferMetal BeginWrite"

make me thing it could be a Metal related issue. Does it happen if you switch to a different rendering API?

Hi, 

So it looks like it only happens in IOS standalone metal. I don't get the message after i've built to a device. It looks like it's an editor issue, by turning off the "Metal Editor Support" I don't get the error anymore.

So it's not a big issue due to it not causing any issues on a device.

Thanks for the help.