Obi Official Forum

Full Version: Obi Softbody not rendering when model has rig.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(07-07-2023, 01:58 PM)josemendez Wrote: [ -> ]Hi!

Double checked and checked the spam folder as well, but seems we didn’t receive it.

Just to make sure, you did use the “@“ character in place of “(at)” in the address right?

try hello(at)virtualmethodstudio.com as well, in case the support one isn’t working for some reason.

Kind regards,

I've sent another email to that address.
(07-07-2023, 03:08 PM)BiffThomson Wrote: [ -> ]I've sent another email to that address.

Hi,

I really have no idea why, but your emails aren't getting trough at all. Not to the inbox, not to the spam folder.

Would it be possible for you to send me a PM trough the forums instead?
(10-07-2023, 01:23 PM)josemendez Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,

I really have no idea why, but your emails aren't getting trough at all. Not to the inbox, not to the spam folder.

Would it be possible for you to send me a PM trough the forums instead?
I'll try that.
(10-07-2023, 11:07 PM)BiffThomson Wrote: [ -> ]I'll try that.

Hi,

Took a look at your project, but your SkinnedMeshRenderer is clearly missing all bones? as a result, the mesh is not rendered because all vertex weights in it reference bones that don't exist in the scene.

My guess is that you've created a ObiSoftbody trough the menu and just slapped the mesh on the empty SkinnedMeshRenderer it creates. You can only do this if your mesh does not require bones. Note that if you create a SkinnedMeshRenderer component yourself and put the goblin mesh in it it won't render either, regardless of using Obi or not: you need the character's bones to be present for rigged characters to work at all in any software.

Unity will create the bone hierarchy if you drag your character prefab onto the scene view, so:

- Drag your Goblin character from your project window and drop it onto your scene view. This will automatically create the proper bone hierarchy and use them to setup a SkinnedMeshRenderer for you to use. The manual assumes this step has already been done when you start creating the softbody, as it's the usual way to instantiate a character in Unity.

- Once your character is properly setup, you can add Obi components to it: ObiSolver/ObiUpdater (usually in the character's root) and ObiSoftbody/ObiSoftbodySkinner besides its SkinnedMeshRenderer(s), or create an entirely new softbody component if you only want to drive part of the character as explained in the manual.

Once you do this the simulation will work. I'm PM'ing you a scene with the basic setup.

kind regards,
Alright, well after comparing my scene (in my actual project) and the scene you sent I noticed what the issue was.

For what it's worth I do know how skinned renders and all that stuff works, its just that I was led to believe that something was wrong with Obi since I was following the tutorial to the letter, but nothing was happening. I was seeing if something was wrong on my end of the setup so I was trying a bunch of things until I had gotten a result that was different than just "nothing happens".

Originally, my issue with Obi Softbody (before all this) was that the simulation would just not occur, period. It turns out this is because you need to actually manually add the solvers to the Obi Fixed Updater component. Curiously, this is not mentioned in the "Character softbodies" guide linked earlier.

Anyways, my experience with the documentation has been quite poor -- I think I will be getting a refund.
(12-07-2023, 10:38 AM)BiffThomson Wrote: [ -> ]Alright, well after comparing my scene (in my actual project) and the scene you sent I noticed what the issue was.

For what it's worth I do know how skinned renders and all that stuff works, its just that I was led to believe that something was wrong with Obi since I was following the tutorial to the letter, but nothing was happening.

The tutorial goes like this:

Quote:It's time to create the softbody actor. Select the character's root, go to GameObject->3DObject->Obi->Obi Softbody, a softbody actor will be automatically created as a child of the character's root.

Not having a properly setup character means you don't have a root transform. The tutorial assumes your starting point is a working character to which you want to add selective softbody simulation. An isolated SkinnedMeshRenderer without any bone hierarchy won't render rigged meshes in Unity, since a  character without bones won't work in any software in general.

(12-07-2023, 10:38 AM)BiffThomson Wrote: [ -> ]Originally, my issue with Obi Softbody (before all this) was that the simulation would just not occur, period. It turns out this is because you need to actually manually add the solvers to the Obi Fixed Updater component. Curiously, this is not mentioned in the "Character softbodies" guide linked earlier.

It's not mentioned because both ObiSolver and ObiFixedUpdater components will be automatically created and set up for you if you click GameObject->3D Object->Obi->Obi Softbody as the guide instructs you to do. Only if you create the components from scratch one by one you do need to add the solver to an updater yourself.

The need for an updater is mentioned in the pages explaining the asset's basic architectural design, which are part of the manual’s introductory section:
http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/manua...cture.html
http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/manua...aters.html

(12-07-2023, 10:38 AM)BiffThomson Wrote: [ -> ]Anyways, my experience with the documentation has been quite poor -- I think I will be getting a refund.

In case you want a refund write to support(at)virtualmethodtstudio.com stating your invoice number and we'll process the refund for you. (or better, send me a PM instead just in case the email doesn’t work)

kind regards,
Pages: 1 2