Obi Official Forum

Full Version: Stiff for a bit?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi there, 
Is there a way to use and control point, as an anchor in a way?

Let me explain. To get the visual effect, I want to have the rope start at 0, and end at 1, with a big exception....
This exception is, that the rope, does not bend until it reaches 0.25f. 

If you can imagine a body, where the arms are rope. And the rope extends from the shoulder. At the moment, if I place the start of the rope, direclty at the shoulder position, as I move the player, there is a visable gap. So, if I move the rope into the body a bit, it hides the gap, but now as I move the player, the rope does not extend from the shoulder but from in the body. 

Does this make sense? 

How can I insure no visual gap between rope start and shoulder and always maintain that the "appearance of the the rope, no matter the end position", always extends from the shoulder?

Thank you!
(18-04-2023, 05:14 PM)Renman3000 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi there, 
Is there a way to use and control point, as an anchor in a way?

Let me explain. To get the visual effect, I want to have the rope start at 0, and end at 1, with a big exception....
This exception is, that the rope, does not bend until it reaches 0.25f. 

Hi,

Add a few control points between 0 and 0.25f, and attach them. This will prevent the rope from bending until 0.25f. This technique is used in the "RopeShowcase" sample scene, to make the ropes on the left wall come out at a 90º degree angle.

This works because of basic math: there's infinite lines that pass trough one point in space, but only one line that passes trough 2. So if you attach a beam at a single point, it will freely rotate around that point, but attaching it to 2 or more points constrains its rotation. Same for a rope.

Note this is only necessary with ropes. Rods model orientation and torsion, so you can constrain their orientation with a single attached control point.

hope this is what you were looking for! let me know if I can be of further help.

kind regards
(19-04-2023, 07:23 AM)josemendez Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,

Add a few control points between 0 and 0.25f, and attach them. This will prevent the rope from bending until 0.25f. This technique is used in the "RopeShowcase" sample scene, to make the ropes on the left wall come out at a 90º degree angle.

This works because of basic math: there's infinite lines that pass trough one point in space, but only one line that passes trough 2. So if you attach a beam at a single point, it will freely rotate around that point, but attaching it to 2 or more points constrains its rotation. Same for a rope.

Note this is only necessary with ropes. Rods model orientation and torsion, so you can constrain their orientation with a single attached control point.

hope this is what you were looking for! let me know if I can be of further help.

kind regards

Great, will look into!
Thank you!