Obi Official Forum

Full Version: rope resistance ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello, i am making a simulation for simple pendulum but there is something i dont understand, when i left the sphere to start swinging, it supposed to swing like 20 swing when the rope length is 50cm for example, but it doesnt, it swings less then it supposed to do, as if the rope is resisting the swinging motion, i am not sure what factor in the rope setting that control this resistance 
(05-04-2023, 08:52 PM)Mickle Wrote: [ -> ]Hello, i am making a simulation for simple pendulum but there is something i dont understand, when i left the sphere to start swinging, it supposed to swing like 20 swing when the rope length is 50cm for example, but it doesnt, it swings less then it supposed to do, as if the rope is resisting the swinging motion, i am not sure what factor in the rope setting that control this resistance 

Hi!

Hard to tell from the video, but here’d the things I’d check first:
-Make sure the rigidbody’s drag is zero.
-Make sure the ObiSolver’s damping is zero.
-Make sure the rope is not colliding against the rigidbody, as described in the manual page for attachments: http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/manua...ments.html

Also keep in mind that all simulations have some numerical damping, higher the larger your timestep is. Reducing your timestep (or using more substeps, which has the same effect) will help reducing numerical damping.

Kind regards,