Obi Official Forum

Full Version: Ropes // Wind interaction
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all Sonrisa

I was wondering if an Obi Rope can be affected by some light wind.
I found an old post on the Unity forum from VirtualMethod where someone asked the question as well (in 2016) and the answer was "Currently not".

Has that "currently not" changed to a definite no or are there ways that the rope can be affected by wind?
Background to this question is that we have an underwater cable but we want to mimic the effect of a current that's pushing on the cable. I was thinking of mimicking the effect with a wind system that lightly pushes against the cable. 

Thanks in advance Sonrisa

Kind regards, 

Patrick
Hi Patrick,

The answer to this depend on what you mean by "wind". Ropes can be affected by force zones (eg. ObiAmbientForceZone), but this is not wind in the strict sense of the word as it doesn't take into account air density, rope orientation with respect to the wind direction, or occlusion (some parts of the rope shielding others from the wind).

Only cloth and fluids currently support proper wind. However, regular forces do affect ropes, so I'd try using a ObiAmbientForceZone or ObiSphericalForceZone with your rope as it can mimic wind in most cases.

Also, you can write your own custom multithreaded force effectors easily using the particles API. Check out the manual for an example of a radial force field implemented using jobs (you'll find it at the very end of the page):
http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/manua...icles.html

kind regards,
(05-04-2023, 10:41 AM)josemendez Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Patrick,

The answer to this depend on what you mean by "wind". Ropes can be affected by force zones (eg. ObiAmbientForceZone), but this is not wind in the strict sense of the word as it doesn't take into account air density, rope orientation with respect to the wind direction, or occlusion (some parts of the rope shielding others from the wind).

Only cloth and fluids currently support proper wind. However, regular forces do affect ropes, so I'd try using a ObiAmbientForceZone or ObiSphericalForceZone with your rope as it can mimic wind in most cases.

Also, you can write your own custom multithreaded force effectors easily using the particles API. Check out the manual for an example of a radial force field implemented using jobs (you'll find it at the very end of the page):
http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/manua...icles.html

kind regards,

Hi Jose, 

Thanks for the reply!
I tested a bit with the AmbientForceZone component and I think this does just the trick. Putting the intensity and turbulence frequency quite low it mimics the effect of a current and affects the cable just enough.

Thanks again! Sonrisa