Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pin constraints not breaking in 4.x?
Hi

I'm having difficulty getting pin constraints to auto-break (using Break Resistance) since upgrading to Obi 4.x (4.0.1).

In my game, I'm adding pin constraints and altering their pinBreakResistance via code, which worked in 3.x, and have also tried setting up a test-case in the editor. 
Either way the pins aren't breaking under duress, even with minuscule breakResistence values.

I posted this in general as I am having the same problem with both Obi cloths and Obi ropes.

Can I just check this is not a bug?

Thanks in advance

Ric
(31-01-2019, 01:02 PM)autopsyturvey Wrote: Hi

I'm having difficulty getting pin constraints to auto-break (using Break Resistance) since upgrading to Obi 4.x (4.0.1).

In my game, I'm adding pin constraints and altering their pinBreakResistance via code, which worked in 3.x, and have also tried setting up a test-case in the editor. 
Either way the pins aren't breaking under duress, even with minuscule breakResistence values.

I posted this in general as I am having the same problem with both Obi cloths and Obi ropes.

Can I just check this is not a bug?

Thanks in advance

Ric

Yep, seems to be a bug. Now that pin constraints affect orientations too, the particle force getter seems to return incorrect values. Will fix it asap and upload an update.

Thanks for reporting this!
Uploaded v4.0.2 yesterday, that fixes this issue. Should be available for download very soon.
(01-02-2019, 01:02 PM)josemendez Wrote: Uploaded v4.0.2 yesterday, that fixes this issue. Should be available for download very soon.

Fantastic! Thanks for your quick response!

Really enjoying the assets, btw.

Ric
(01-02-2019, 01:02 PM)josemendez Wrote: Uploaded v4.0.2 yesterday, that fixes this issue. Should be available for download very soon.

Hi again!

Still no sign of that v4.0.2 my end - I know these updates can take a while and, I presume, require human input at the Unity end, but surprised not to see it yet. Worth checking it went through properly from your side?

Cheers!

Ric
(04-02-2019, 09:44 AM)autopsyturvey Wrote: Hi again!

Still no sign of that v4.0.2 my end - I know these updates can take a while and, I presume, require human input at the Unity end, but surprised not to see it yet. Worth checking it went through properly from your side?

Cheers!

Ric

Hi there,

Still listed as "pending review" in the store. They approved Obi Softbody, but the other 3 assets (including Obi Rope) are apparently yet under scrutiny. They've been for 4 days already so I suppose they will be released very soon. Unfortunately, no way to know for sure from our end Triste
(04-02-2019, 10:50 AM)josemendez Wrote: Hi there,

Still listed as "pending review" in the store. They approved Obi Softbody, but the other 3 assets (including Obi Rope) are apparently yet under scrutiny. They've been for 4 days already so I suppose they will be released very soon. Unfortunately, no way to know for sure from our end Triste

Great, thanks for checking! Hurry up Unity-staff!
To be fair, I've lots of other work to do on my project, but I'm just missing having my amazing cloth bits working properly atm. Sonrisa
Hello
Just got back from a week away and found that 4.0.2 was available, so hooray!
Unfortunately, I'm still having the same problem with pins not breaking under pressure.
I tried actually deleting the Obi folder and re-importing (Rope and Cloth), to no avail.
I might be suffering from post-holiday stoopidness, so apologies if I've missed something obvious.
Thanks in advance
Ric
(21-02-2019, 10:44 AM)autopsyturvey Wrote: Hello
Just got back from a week away and found that 4.0.2 was available, so hooray!
Unfortunately, I'm still having the same problem with pins not breaking under pressure.
I tried actually deleting the Obi folder and re-importing (Rope and Cloth), to no avail.
I might be suffering from post-holiday stoopidness, so apologies if I've missed something obvious.
Thanks in advance
Ric

Hi there,

Just tried it, they're breaking fine for me. Just make sure the breaking threshold is low enough.
(21-02-2019, 11:04 AM)josemendez Wrote: Hi there,

Just tried it, they're breaking fine for me. Just make sure the breaking threshold is low enough.

Hmm. This is a mystery, then. My breaking thresholds are suitably low (0.1 is what was working before and I've tried .0001 etc).

Delving into the Obi code, at ObiPinConstraintBatch.cs -> BreakConstraints(), I've added a debug line:

Quote:bool torn = false;
for (int i = 0; i < ConstraintCount; i++){

if (constraintForces[i * 4 + 3] != 0) Debug.Log(constraintForces[i * 4 + 3]);  //debug

if (-constraintForces[i*4 + 3] * 1000 > pinBreakResistance[i]){ // units are kilonewtons.
        activeConstraints.Remove(i);
        torn = true;
    }
}

and that's never printing to the console, ie., all checked constraintForces indexes are always zero.

I haven't got as far as to figure out where that array is updated, presumably by a Solver.

Also, whereabouts might I be able to check whether I definitely have the changes made in 4.0.2?

Thanks again!

Ric