Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Help  Performance - Solver per Cloth vs multiple Cloth per Solver
Hi,

For my application I require dynamically scaling the Cloth at runtime (Furling / lowering / raising sails). My understanding is that I should use seperate local-space solvers per cloth to achieve this.

I was wondering if there was a performance impact with this approach? IE, would 10 Solvers with 1 Cloth perform the same as 1 Solver with 10 Cloth?
Assuming the same Solver settings. There could be potentially 50+ Solvers in existence.

Thanks in advance.
(08-04-2018, 05:55 PM)jabza Wrote: Hi,

For my application I require dynamically scaling the Cloth at runtime (Furling / lowering / raising sails). My understanding is that I should use seperate local-space solvers per cloth to achieve this.

I was wondering if there was a performance impact with this approach? IE, would 10 Solvers with 1 Cloth perform the same as 1 Solver with 10 Cloth?
Assuming the same Solver settings. There could be potentially 50+ Solvers in existence.

Thanks in advance.
Hi,

The raw performance is about the same. However, having separate solvers has a huge benefit if not all solvers have to be onscreen at once: you can untick "simulate when invisible", and all solvers not seen by any camera will stop updating their simulation.