Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Particle Dragger Inaccurate
I'm using the particle dragger on a softbody, but i doesn't drag on the exact area i click on the model, it drags somewhere else on the softbody, these are the screenshots of the softbody setup.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(20-05-2024, 08:55 PM)djones2 Wrote: I'm using the particle dragger on a softbody, but i doesn't drag on the exact area i click on the model, it drags somewhere else on the softbody, these are the screenshots of the softbody setup.
Hi,

The particle dragger drags particles, as the name implies. So it often won't drag from the *exact* point you click, but the particle closest to that point. Normally this isn't very far away from the point you click, unless your blueprint resolution is very low. You can add a ObiParticleRenderer component to your softbody to visually inspect its particles, see if the amount of particles you're using is too low.

kind regards
(21-05-2024, 07:50 AM)josemendez Wrote: Hi,

The particle dragger drags particles, as the name implies. So it often won't drag from the *exact* point you click, but the particle closest to that point. Normally this isn't very far away from the point you click, unless your blueprint resolution is very low. You can add a ObiParticleRenderer component to your softbody to visually inspect its particles, see if the amount of particles you're using is too low.

kind regards
The particle renderer does not show anything in the editor or in the play mode, i'm in hdrp and i've already converted the built in materials to hdrp
(21-05-2024, 10:20 PM)djones2 Wrote: The particle renderer does not show anything in the editor or in the play mode, i'm in hdrp and i've already converted the built in materials to hdrp

Hi,

There's no lit shader for the particle renderer in HDRP as of Obi 6, it has only recently been introduced in Obi 7 (currently in beta). See:
http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/manua...ering.html

Quote:Shader

Shader used to shade the particles. By default, a shader for the built-in render pipeline is used. There's a URP shader available too (ParticleShaderURP). You can also write your own custom shaders.

You can visualize the particles in the blueprint editor nonetheless, either as points (the default) or full ellipsoids if you enable "particles" in the visualization options:

[Image: LlPEYDf.png]

These particles are where you'll be able to drag a softbody from, since Obi is a particle-based simulator. See the manual for details regarding how to change the resolution - and as a result, the amount of particles:
http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/manua...setup.html

kind regards,
(22-05-2024, 07:42 AM)josemendez Wrote: Hi,

There's no lit shader for the particle renderer in HDRP as of Obi 6, it has only recently been introduced in Obi 7 (currently in beta). See:
http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/manua...ering.html

You can visualize the particles in the blueprint editor nonetheless, either as points (the default) or full ellipsoids if you enable "particles" in the visualization options:

[Image: LlPEYDf.png]

These particles are where you'll be able to drag a softbody from, since Obi is a particle-based simulator. See the manual for details regarding how to change the resolution - and as a result, the amount of particles:
http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/manua...setup.html

kind regards,
I changed to the built in render pipleline and rebuilt the softbody setup to visualize the particles with the particle renderer, when using the particle dragger it doesnt drag on specific particles that are shown (particle renderer is enabled), is it because of the raycast from screen point.
(22-05-2024, 10:04 PM)djones2 Wrote: the particle dragger it doesnt drag on specific particles that are shown (particle renderer is enabled), is it because of the raycast from screen point.

Hi,

Not sure what you mean, the ray is of course cast from a point in the screen (where the mouse cursor is). Then the particle under it is picked, and dragged behind the cursor using a spring force. Here's a screenshot of it in one of the sample scenes: As you can see the green picking line that visualizes the spring between the cursor and the picked particle goes exactly from the position of the cursor to the center of the particle you clicked on:

[Image: vCCkJ8f.png]

From your wording, it seems like this is not at all what you are experiencing and/or expecting. Could you describe the issue more precisely?

Keep in mind that the particle dragger acts as a spring: it will drag the particle along the mouse cursor using a spring force (similar to Unity's distance joint), it won't just position the particle directly under the cursor every frame. If you're looking for a stiffer spring, you can adjust the spring's stiffness and damping parameters in the ObiParticleDragger component. Or if you're not looking for a spring-based solution at all, you can write your own component that sets the particle positions directly using the particles API.

kind regards