Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bug / Crash  (7.0) Compute backend seems to freeze the whole Unity editor occassionally
I'm also getting a d11 issue when I use compute backend, I have 4 chains that I am trying to change the length of. If my blueprint is at thickness: 0.1 Resolution 0.5 everything works fine when I try to change the length of the chains to 3 at startup. But if I move the thickness to 0.05 and resolution to 1 I get a D11 every single time. I thought it was that I had to many chains or something so I change my code so I could do the length change on each chain one at a time slowly, it sometimes does one fine, but then the next one will crash it. Having all 4 chains in the scene seems to be working fine as long as I don't try to change the length on them at runtime. I just need them to start all coiled up so I need to change length at runtime.

The code I am running is just the following, where in this case slackValue is 3 and chainIndex being what chain I am targeting.

Code:
public void SetupChains(int chainIndex)
{
    //set length of obi rope
    chains[chainIndex].obiCursor.ChangeLength(slackValue);
}

More info:
OS - Windows 11 Pro
Unity - 2021.3.22f1
Processor - i9-13900KF
GPU - 4070 Ti
Installed RAM - 64.0 GB (63.8 GB usable)
(26-08-2024, 07:13 PM)Ben_bionic Wrote: I'm also getting a d11 issue when I use compute backend,

Hi Ben,

Which version of ObiRope are you using? we pushed an update just a few days ago which fixes a pretty hard to reproduce crash in the compute backend when using aerodynamic constraints (which are enabled by default on all ropes).

In case you're already using the latest version (7.0.2) could you share the project/scene that reproduces this issue, by sending it to support(at)virtualmethodstudio.com? simply having multiple ropes with cursors changing their length at runtime seems to work fine for us (ie. the "FreightLift" sample scene uses 4 ropes with a cursor each).

(26-08-2024, 07:13 PM)Ben_bionic Wrote: The code I am running is just the following, where in this case slackValue is 3 and chainIndex being what chain I am targeting.

Code:
public void SetupChains(int chainIndex)
{
    //set length of obi rope
    chains[chainIndex].obiCursor.ChangeLength(slackValue);
}

That will increase the length of the ropes by 3 meters - keep that in mind in case you're calling this every frame!

kind regards,
(26-08-2024, 08:36 PM)josemendez Wrote: Hi Ben,

Which version of ObiRope are you using? we pushed an update just a few days ago which fixes a pretty hard to reproduce crash in the compute backend when using aerodynamic constraints (which are enabled by default on all ropes).

In case you're already using the latest version (7.0.2) could you share the project/scene that reproduces this issue, by sending it to support(at)virtualmethodstudio.com? simply having multiple ropes with cursors changing their length at runtime seems to work fine for us (ie. the "FreightLift" sample scene uses 4 ropes with a cursor each).

That will increase the length of the ropes by 3 meters - keep that in mind in case you're calling this every frame!

kind regards,
 I was on 7.0.1, thank you for mentioning that 7.0.2 was available! That seems to have fixed all of my D11 issues! I am loving the new levels of performance possible with the compute background, I'm using obi for the visuals and filo in the background to run all of the physics and it's all working amazingly!