Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Particles are rendered in play mode, but not in editor mode
I'm experiencing a weird issue: the particles are rendered in play mode, but not in editor mode.

I've checked the Frame Debugger, and the draw calls are called in both cases, so I really ran out of ideas.

Changing ZTest to off doesn't help, so I suppose it has nothing to do with depth.

I'm using a custom SRP, and I understand it would be quite hard to help with my issue without looking at my custom SRP's code. I can provide that if necessary, but it's a bit tedious to separate it from the current project's dependencies. I'd like to know if it's a known issue/intentional behavior first, and if not, where should I check to pinpoint the problem?
(29-03-2024, 09:33 PM)kodra Wrote: I'm experiencing a weird issue: the particles are rendered in play mode, but not in editor mode.

I've checked the Frame Debugger, and the draw calls are called in both cases, so I really ran out of ideas.

Changing ZTest to off doesn't help, so I suppose it has nothing to do with depth.

I'm using a custom SRP, and I understand it would be quite hard to help with my issue without looking at my custom SRP's code. I can provide that if necessary, but it's a bit tedious to separate it from the current project's dependencies. I'd like to know if it's a known issue/intentional behavior first, and if not, where should I check to pinpoint the problem?

Hi!

Not a known issue, and certainly not intentional. Particles are just a mesh made out of quads (one per particle) with a custom shader that performs raytracing against an ellipsoid per quad. There’s nothing unusual in the way the mesh is built and the shader used to render it is math heavy, but otherwise a regular vertex/fragment shader.

Off the top of my head there’s no reason for this to happen, so I’m afraid that a deeper dive into your pipeline’s code is the only way to find the problem.

Kind regards,
(29-03-2024, 09:59 PM)josemendez Wrote: Hi!

Not a known issue, and certainly not intentional. Particles are just a mesh made out of quads (one per particle) with a custom shader that performs raytracing against an ellipsoid per quad. There’s nothing unusual in the way the mesh is built and the shader used to render it is math heavy, but otherwise a regular vertex/fragment shader.

Off the top of my head there’s no reason for this to happen, so I’m afraid that a deeper dive into your pipeline’s code is the only way to find the problem.

Kind regards,

Ok. I'll try to prepare a minimal project that can reproduce this issue. How should I send it to you/your team? Do I need to include /Library (which is of course quite large)?
Ok, I've tried my best to make a project to reproduce this issue. It might be warnings here and there cause some missing dependencies, but the Obi sample scene works.

Please take a look. Check Assets\ThirdParty\Obi\Samples\Softbody\ElasticCharacter.unity and you can see the particle renderer work in play mode, but not in editor mode.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/14tdKU_V...sp=sharing