Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help  Aligning collision with Obi Rope Mesh Renderer
Pregunta 
Hello, I am new to Obi Rope, and I am struggling to get my rod's collision to line up with the geometry from the Obi Rope Mesh Renderer. I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

What I am Trying to Do:
I am trying to make a game with a tentacled sea monster. My plan is to model the tentacle in Blender, then apply it to a rod using the ObiRopeMeshRender component. The tentacle itself is thicker at the base and tapers towards the tip. I want the collision of the object to reflect this.

The Problem:
I was hoping to add control points and use the thickness gizmo to line up the rope thickness by eye. However, when I do this, it also scales the mesh. I can't find a way to leave the mesh scale as is, and only modify the size of the ropes particles.

Am I approaching this the wrong way? I considered using an extruded shape, but ultimately I want a more detailed model so I figured the mesh renderer was the way to go.
(20-02-2024, 05:03 PM)joegatling Wrote: Hello, I am new to Obi Rope, and I am struggling to get my rod's collision to line up with the geometry from the Obi Rope Mesh Renderer. I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

What I am Trying to Do:
I am trying to make a game with a tentacled sea monster. My plan is to model the tentacle in Blender, then apply it to a rod using the ObiRopeMeshRender component. The tentacle itself is thicker at the base and tapers towards the tip. I want the collision of the object to reflect this.

The Problem:
I was hoping to add control points and use the thickness gizmo to line up the rope thickness by eye. However, when I do this, it also scales the mesh. I can't find a way to leave the mesh scale as is, and only modify the size of the ropes particles.

Am I approaching this the wrong way? I considered using an extruded shape, but ultimately I want a more detailed model so I figured the mesh renderer was the way to go.

Hi!

The ObiBone component is specifically designed for this use case: apply rod physics to an existing mesh. If your tentacle is not skinned however (that is, it doesn’t have a skeleton) you’ll need to give it one first.

ObiRopeMeshRenderer is intended to be used for chain-like stuff, when you have a mesh that needs to be instanced along the rope path and -unlike ObiRopeChainRenderer which uses rigid links- have the instances deform along with the path.

let me know if I can be of further help,
(20-02-2024, 08:31 PM)josemendez Wrote: Hi!

The ObiBone component is specifically designed for this use case: apply rod physics to an existing mesh. If your tentacle is not skinned however (that is, it doesn’t have a skeleton) you’ll need to give it one first.

ObiRopeMeshRenderer is intended to be used for chain-like stuff, when you have a mesh that needs to be instanced along the rope path and -unlike ObiRopeChainRenderer which uses rigid links- have the instances deform along with the path.

let me know if I can be of further help,

Thanks! This sounds like exactly what I'm looking for.