Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using Obi cloth for unskinned 3D garment on a 3D avatar
Hi 

I have purchased obi cloth for trying my 3D garments on my 3D avatars. The tutorials those I have seen uses skinned clothes on 3D avatar to simulate the clothes. But I want to simulate my clothes using unskinned 3D garments. Can you please share a tutorial or example which I can follow to implement the same.

Thanks
(23-03-2023, 12:59 PM)mandeepdhalor28 Wrote: Hi 

I have purchased obi cloth for trying my 3D garments on my 3D avatars. The tutorials those I have seen uses skinned clothes on 3D avatar to simulate the clothes. But I want to simulate my clothes using unskinned 3D garments. Can you please share a tutorial or example which I can follow to implement the same.

Thanks

Using regular cloth on 3D animated avatars is not possible because Unity does not support animated MeshColliders, hence the cloth won't be able to accurately collide against a 3D animated character. Even if it was supported, it would be extremely slow because of the sheer amount of contacts between the body and the cloth that would  need to be detected and resolved every frame between two deformable meshes.

Character cloth in games is always skinned because of this. If you're only interested in simulating 1 character on screen at once, and don't mind low-ish quality simulation, you need to look for a GPU-based cloth simulator.

kind regards,
(23-03-2023, 01:04 PM)josemendez Wrote: Using regular cloth on 3D animated avatars is not possible because Unity does not support animated MeshColliders, hence the cloth won't be able to accurately collide against a 3D animated character. Even if it was supported, it would be extremely slow because of the sheer amount of contacts between the body and the cloth that would  need to be detected and resolved every frame between two deformable meshes.

Character cloth in games is always skinned because of this. If you're only interested in simulating 1 character on screen at once, and don't mind low-ish quality simulation, you need to look for a GPU-based cloth simulator.

kind regards,

Thanks for getting back.

Let me share a brief about our problem statement. We are creating a cloth/garment simulation tool where we are able to bring in different garments in unity and are able to visualize them on a 3D avatar. The garments can come from many sources and hence it is not possible to skin them on the body before hand. 

Is there any way with which we can achieve this using Obi cloth?

Thanks
(24-03-2023, 02:24 AM)mandeepdhalor28 Wrote: Thanks for getting back.

Let me share a brief about our problem statement. We are creating a cloth/garment simulation tool where we are able to bring in different garments in unity and are able to visualize them on a 3D avatar. The garments can come from many sources and hence it is not possible to skin them on the body before hand. 

Is there any way with which we can achieve this using Obi cloth?

Thanks

Hi there!

No, this is not possible to do with Obi (or any other CPU-based cloth simulator, for that matter).

if you wish for a refund, write to support(at)virtualmethodstudio.com stating your invoice number.

kind regards,
(24-03-2023, 07:58 AM)josemendez Wrote: Hi there!

No, this is not possible to do with Obi (or any other CPU-based cloth simulator, for that matter).

if you wish for a refund, write to support(at)virtualmethodstudio.com stating your invoice number.

kind regards,

Hi Josemendez, 

I can understand, having this said, then the best approach would be to have our garments skinned on the base body in order to use Obi.
This brings me to a question, if it possible to skin the cloth in run time and then use Obi?

Thanks
(28-03-2023, 02:47 AM)mandeepdhalor28 Wrote: Hi Josemendez, 

I can understand, having this said, then the best approach would be to have our garments skinned on the base body in order to use Obi.
This brings me to a question, if it possible to skin the cloth in run time and then use Obi?

Thanks

Hi!

Yes, but you will have to write your own skinning algorithm. This isn't a trivial task if you're aiming for good quality, fully automatic skinning. The algorithm with the best complexity/quality ratio in my opinion is voxel heatmap-based skinning. Here's a description of it:
http://blog.wolfire.com/2009/11/volumetr...-skinning/

kind regards,