Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help  Can I gather obi cloth
I am trying to simulate a beach towel over my characters shoulder but I can't get the cloth to gather at the shoulder.  At the moment I am working outside the character.  I have set up 4 particle attachments and put them where the four corners of the shoulders would be and a capsule collider underneath to simulate the shoulder but the cloth isn't gathering.  I am just using the exiting materials for now and will change to a beach towel once it is working.

See video below which shows what happens and how I have it set up.

https://360.articulate.com/review/conten...0a3/review

Is this possible using Obi Cloth or do I need to set up the prefab with the gathers already there.

Thanks
Elsiehar
(31-03-2023, 02:28 AM)Elsiehar Wrote: I am trying to simulate a beach towel over my characters shoulder but I can't get the cloth to gather at the shoulder.  At the moment I am working outside the character.  I have set up 4 particle attachments and put them where the four corners of the shoulders would be and a capsule collider underneath to simulate the shoulder but the cloth isn't gathering.  I am just using the exiting materials for now and will change to a beach towel once it is working.

See video below which shows what happens and how I have it set up.

https://360.articulate.com/review/conten...0a3/review

Is this possible using Obi Cloth or do I need to set up the prefab with the gathers already there.

Thanks
Elsiehar

Hi there!

I fail to see how attachments would help in this case, they just make sure the particles in the group don't move at all relative to the transform they're attached to.

Simplest course of action would be to model the towel in roughly the shape it will have at rest. Another option would be to pick and drag the cloth at runtime and place it on the shoulders of the character (for instance, using ObiParticleDragger). Which method to use depends on what your goal is, whether the towel can be interacted with by the user or it's just eye candy, whether characters are skinned and the towel should move with them, etc.

kind regards
(31-03-2023, 11:21 AM)josemendez Wrote: Hi there!

I fail to see how attachments would help in this case, they just make sure the particles in the group don't move at all relative to the transform they're attached to.

Simplest course of action would be to model the towel in roughly the shape it will have at rest. Another option would be to pick and drag the cloth at runtime and place it on the shoulders of the character (for instance, using ObiParticleDragger). Which method to use depends on what your goal is, whether the towel can be interacted with by the user or it's just eye candy, whether characters are skinned and the towel should move with them, etc.

kind regards

Great thank you, that makes sense.  I want to use the Particle dragger option but I can't find anything in the manual on how to use it.  I found  a thread http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/forum...ht=dragger but that doesn't help me.

I have tried to get it to work with no luck and tried googling for videos but can't find any. Can you point me in the direction of a video or something that explains how it works.

Thanks
(03-04-2023, 01:22 AM)Elsiehar Wrote: Great thank you, that makes sense.  I want to use the Particle dragger option but I can't find anything in the manual on how to use it.  I found  a thread http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/forum...ht=dragger but that doesn't help me.

I have tried to get it to work with no luck and tried googling for videos but can't find any. Can you point me in the direction of a video or something that explains how it works.

Thanks

ObiParticleDragger is an example script, so it's not listed in the documentation. Using it is simple: just add it to any object in the scene, drag/drop your ObiSolver into its "solver" property, and you'll be able to click and drag cloth around using your mouse while in play mode. That's pretty much all there is to it.

This will allow users to drag and position the cloth however they want: around the characters neck, or anywhere else. Might not be what you're looking for though, depending on what your use case is.

kind regards