Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help  Obi rope constant distance Between Particles
Pregunta 
It is possible to completely remove the tension (so that there is always the same tension between all their particles). Just in the stretching settings there are only parameters for the rope to try to shrink or stretch, and that's a little wrong
Has Obi Rope something like Min/Max Particle Distance
(21-06-2022, 10:08 AM)Peniok Wrote: It is possible to completely remove the tension (so that there is always the same tension between all their particles).

Hi! I'm not sure I understand your question.

Completely removing tension and having uniform tension are completely opposite things. Tension is a force that causes strain in the rope.

-Removing tension can only be done by deactivating all distance constraints so that particles can freely move with respect to each other.
-Keeping the same tension between all particles is not something you can control, as it depends on where different parts of the rope are moving towards. Different parts of the rope will be under different tension forces.

(21-06-2022, 10:08 AM)Peniok Wrote: Just in the stretching settings there are only parameters for the rope to try to shrink or stretch, and that's a little wrong

Wrong in what way? that's plenty useful in many circumstances. What exactly are you trying to do?

(21-06-2022, 10:08 AM)Peniok Wrote: Has Obi Rope something like Min/Max Particle Distance

Yes, the max particle distance is the rest distance between particles (the distance when no forces are acting upon the rope). The min distance is adjusted via the "Max Compression" setting in the distance constraints, and is a percentage of the rest distance: a max compression of 0.5 would mean ropes can get 50% of their rest distance closer to each other.

-----

I guess what you want is to just remove all spurious elasticity in the rope? You can just use more substeps for that. Substeps are found in the ObiFixedUpdater component, and are the main quality/performance parameter in Obi. The manual has a very in-depth explanation of how the engine works internally and how substeps and iterations affect the simulation:
http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/manua...gence.html