Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help  Fishing Pole/Line
(29-04-2022, 07:13 PM)Natty Wrote: Hi Jose,

It's definitely getting better, but still a ways off.  The rope is still fairly elastic; how high should I increase the Distance iterations?  I messed around with it, but wasn't noticing much of a difference beyond ~25. Additionally, how can I start with the rope being a shorter length?  In the starting picture, I would expect the rope to be that long, yet upon pressing play, the rope is MUCH longer.  I am trying to have the rope start at the length, and then be able to increase the length when casting, and reel it back in.

Let me know if you need more details.

As always, thank you!

Hi!

With 25 iterations and 4 substeps the rope should be as rigid as steel by now. There's clearly something else going on.
A couple of things to watch out for:

- As I mentioned before, the mass ratio between the rope and the bobber. If the bobber is much heavier than the rope, it will easily stretch it.
- The stretching scale parameter in the rope's Distance constraint settings must be 1. Any value larger than 1 (100%) will scale the rope making it longer. Can't tell its current value since your screenshot is cropped and the value you're using is not visible.

Other than that, the rope should start out the same length as its blueprint curve and stay that length without stretching.

Let me know how it goes!

kind regards,
(30-04-2022, 09:40 AM)josemendez Wrote: Hi!

With 25 iterations and 4 substeps the rope should be as rigid as steel by now. There's clearly something else going on.
A couple of things to watch out for:

- As I mentioned before, the mass ratio between the rope and the bobber. If the bobber is much heavier than the rope, it will easily stretch it.
- The stretching scale parameter in the rope's Distance constraint settings must be 1. Any value larger than 1 (100%) will scale the rope making it longer. Can't tell its current value since your screenshot is cropped and the value you're using is not visible.

Other than that, the rope should start out the same length as its blueprint curve and stay that length without stretching.

Let me know how it goes!

kind regards,

The bobber only has a mass of 1.  I believe the rope's mass is whatever the default is, as I'm not sure I saw any place to change it yet.  The stretching scale parameter is also set to 1.

With a bit more testing, I found out that the rope is actually resizing infinitely from what I can tell.  I disabled my Buoyancy script and just hit play to let the bobber fall down freely and not stop at the water; when doing this the bobber infinitely falls down with the rope continually extending...
(30-04-2022, 04:47 PM)Natty Wrote: The bobber only has a mass of 1.  I believe the rope's mass is whatever the default is, as I'm not sure I saw any place to change it yet.  The stretching scale parameter is also set to 1.

With a bit more testing, I found out that the rope is actually resizing infinitely from what I can tell.  I disabled my Buoyancy script and just hit play to let the bobber fall down freely and not stop at the water; when doing this the bobber infinitely falls down with the rope continually extending...

Is it possible that the attachment between the bobber and the rope is set to static? That will force the rope to follow the object it is attached to, without resisting in any way (similar to a parent/child relationship between objects).

You must set the attachment to dynamic. This will simulate the attachment using forces instead, this is what you usually want for attaching a dynamic (non-kinematic) rigidbody. See: http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/manua...ments.html

Edit: I can confirm that one of the attachments to the bobber is indeed static, as seen in your screenshots. Making it dynamic instead should allow the rope to apply forces to the bobber, resisting pulling.
(30-04-2022, 05:38 PM)josemendez Wrote: Is it possible that the attachment between the bobber and the rope is set to static? That will force the rope to follow the object it is attached to, without resisting in any way (similar to a parent/child relationship between objects).

You must set the attachment to dynamic. This will simulate the attachment using forces instead, this is what you usually want for attaching a dynamic (non-kinematic) rigidbody. See: http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/manua...ments.html

Edit: I can confirm that one of the attachments to the bobber is indeed static, as seen in your screenshots. Making it dynamic instead should allow the rope to apply forces to the bobber, resisting pulling.
Ah, you're right!  So that does fix the length... now I'm fitting with the rope being "split" here...
Also, is there a way to change the starting length?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(30-04-2022, 11:07 PM)Natty Wrote: Ah, you're right!  So that does fix the length... now I'm fitting with the rope being "split" here...
Also, is there a way to change the starting length?

Hi!

A rope is always continuous at rest, so the “split” is probably due to incorrect/unintended control point placement.

As for the start length, the rope starts with the shape and length you define in the path editor. Just move the control points closer together to make the rope shorter Sonrisa

Kind regards,
(01-05-2022, 12:24 AM)josemendez Wrote: Hi!

A rope is always continuous at rest, so the “split” is probably due to incorrect/unintended control point placement.

As for the start length, the rope starts with the shape and length you define in the path editor. Just move the control points closer together to make the rope shorter Sonrisa

Kind regards,

Cool.  Got the length shorter.  Unfortunately, I am having a frustrating time getting the control point placement correct.  Definitely don't understand it.
I'll keep at it.
Thank you.
(01-05-2022, 03:40 AM)Natty Wrote: Cool.  Got the length shorter.  Unfortunately, I am having a frustrating time getting the control point placement correct.  Definitely don't understand it.
I'll keep at it.
Thank you.

Hi Natty,

Not too sure how I can go about helping you with this one.

Rope initial shape/length is defined by a path. This path passes trough all control points in a sequential fashion (pass trough first control point, then second, etc). Each control point has a couple of "tangent handles" sprouting from it, that determine the orientation and curvature of the path as it passes trough the point. This is the typical spline you'd find in most other 2D/3D programs.

This video might be of help, if you haven't watched it yet:
http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/videos.html
(02-05-2022, 08:54 AM)josemendez Wrote: Hi Natty,

Not too sure how I can go about helping you with this one.

Rope initial shape/length is defined by a path. This path passes trough all control points in a sequential fashion (pass trough first control point, then second, etc). Each control point has a couple of "tangent handles" sprouting from it, that determine the orientation and curvature of the path as it passes trough the point. This is the typical spline you'd find in most other 2D/3D programs.

This video might be of help, if you haven't watched it yet:
http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/videos.html
All good for now.  I'm going to move into my actual project and try setting it up there so I can get a better feel of how casting would work.  I set up a brief test in my empty scene of casting out but noticed that the bobber is being pulled by the rope still when it lands in the water.  I'll probably have to tweak my buoyancy code and/or turn off the mass of the rope so that it does pull the bobber as much.

Are there any files that I can exclude from the package and/or add to .gitignore?  I will only be using Oni (no Burst), thank you!
Are there any files that I can exclude from the package and/or add to .gitignore?  I will only be using Oni (no Burst), thank you!
I am trying to keep my Git LFS as small as possible!
(25-05-2022, 12:39 AM)Natty Wrote: Are there any files that I can exclude from the package and/or add to .gitignore?  I will only be using Oni (no Burst), thank you!
I am trying to keep my Git LFS as small as possible!

Hi!

The entire Obi/Samples folder can be removed.

I wouldn't recommend removing the Burst backend since it would require modifying multiple source files that assume the backend actually exists. Moreover, the source files for the burst backend are just plain text so they don't take up much space.