Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mesh not visible
Hello, I am going to have 15-20 softbodies in my scene. So I'm trying to reduce particle count for better performance. When I change vertices count to 18 to 8 my softbodies meshes become invisible. For each of them I clicked the bind skin button. I have particle renderer on my softbody objects. I hope you can help. My blueprint settings are resolution 48, max anisotropy 5, smoothing 1.
(03-03-2022, 09:04 PM)lucass Wrote: Hello, I am going to have 15-20 softbodies in my scene. So I'm trying to reduce particle count for better performance. When I change vertices count to 18 to 8 my softbodies meshes become invisible. For each of them I clicked the bind skin button. I have particle renderer on my softbody objects. I hope you can help. My blueprint settings are resolution 48, max anisotropy 5, smoothing 1.

Hi lucas,

If you want to reduce particle count, there's no need to change your mesh. You can just reduce the "resolution" parameter. This will result in fewer particles being generated.

Regarding your issue, you mention you have a particle renderer on your softbodies: are particles visible at runtime, or is it just the mesh that's disappearing? If possible, could you share the mesh you're using by sending it to support(at)virtualmethodstudio.com so that I can take a closer look?

thanks!
(04-03-2022, 08:49 AM)josemendez Wrote: Hi lucas,

If you want to reduce particle count, there's no need to change your mesh. You can just reduce the "resolution" parameter. This will result in fewer particles being generated.

Regarding your issue, you mention you have a particle renderer on your softbodies: are particles visible at runtime, or is it just the mesh that's disappearing? If possible, could you share the mesh you're using by sending it to support(at)virtualmethodstudio.com so that I can take a closer look?

thanks!
Hello again, thanks for quick reply. Sorry I told it wrong I think. I am not changing my mesh, I am only changing objects blueprint settings. The change I did is in blueprint settings surface sampling=>mode(Vertives)=>Resolution 18 to 8. That's the only change I did.

For the question you ask before changing resolution both my mesh and particles are visible but when I reduce the resolution particles still visible but mesh is not visible. If still needed I can share the mesh with you.
(04-03-2022, 09:08 AM)lucass Wrote: Hello again, thanks for quick reply. Sorry I told it wrong I think. I am not changing my mesh, I am only changing objects blueprint settings. The change I did is in blueprint settings surface sampling=>mode(Vertives)=>Resolution 18 to 8. That's the only change I did.

For the question you ask before changing resolution both my mesh and particles are visible but when I reduce the resolution particles still visible but mesh is not visible. If still needed I can share the mesh with you.

There's a known bug in surface sampling mode, that results in an error being thrown in the console and the blueprint not actually finishing generation. It's been fixed for the next update and there's a patch available, that you can download in this thread:

http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/forum...-3333.html

Can you try if this fixes the issue? Otherwise, I would need to take a look at the specific mesh you're using.

thanks!
(04-03-2022, 09:23 AM)josemendez Wrote: There's a known bug in surface sampling mode, that results in an error being thrown in the console and the blueprint not actually finishing generation. It's been fixed for the next update and there's a patch available, that you can download in this thread:

http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/forum...-3333.html

Can you try if this fixes the issue? Otherwise, I would need to take a look at the specific mesh you're using.

thanks!
 I will look at it now. Thanks. To take 40-60fps in mobile. How many particles should be the max amount in camera view or in scene ?
(04-03-2022, 09:52 AM)lucass Wrote:  I will look at it now. Thanks. To take 40-60fps in mobile. How many particles should be the max amount in camera view or in scene ?

Particles do not determine performance, in fact they have little impact unless you use a huge amount. Simulation is performed regardless of whether you look at it or not so the amount of them in camera view is not important.

Things like your timestep, the amount of substeps, the amount of constraint iterations and the amount of contacts have a much larger impact (this is true for all physics engines). Also, if you're targeting mobile devices you should definitely be using the Burst backend, as it's considerably faster on mobile compared to the fallback one:
http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/manua...kends.html

I'd recommend using a reasonable amount of particles (about 1000 in total). Then use Unity's profiler to determine what's the bottleneck in your particular case, and focus on optimizing that. Or if you still have room for more detail, use more substeps, more particles, etc.
(04-03-2022, 10:17 AM)josemendez Wrote: Particles do not determine performance, in fact they have little impact unless you use a huge amount. Simulation is performed regardless of whether you look at it or not so the amount of them in camera view is not important.

Things like your timestep, the amount of substeps, the amount of constraint iterations and the amount of contacts have a much larger impact (this is true for all physics engines). Also, if you're targeting mobile devices you should definitely be using the Burst backend, as it's considerably faster on mobile compared to the fallback one:
http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/manua...kends.html

I'd recommend using a reasonable amount of particles (about 1000 in total). Then use Unity's profiler to determine what's the bottleneck in your particular case, and focus on optimizing that. Or if you still have room for more detail, use more substeps, more particles, etc.
 I want to stick some objects at start.  When I reduce resolution particle number reduces too so new particles positions are correct but their size is bigger than I like to do. So they are forcing other softbodies at start. If I reduce their radius sometimes they get into other softbodies. Can I manually position generated particles positions or what is the best solution for me? Maybe the things I want like many softbodies in scene and 40-60fps in mobile is not possible but this tool is very fun to work with so I don't want to stop using softbodies and making a standard game  Gran sonrisa

Edit: For better collisions and realistic feedback my single objects nearely have 100-300 particles. With lower particles they are not standing together
(04-03-2022, 02:37 PM)lucass Wrote:  I want to stick some objects at start.  When I reduce resolution particle number reduces too so new particles positions are correct but their size is bigger than I like to do. So they are forcing other softbodies at start. If I reduce their radius sometimes they get into other softbodies. Can I manually position generated particles positions or what is the best solution for me? Maybe the things I want like many softbodies in scene and 40-60fps in mobile is not possible but this tool is very fun to work with so I don't want to stop using softbodies and making a standard game  Gran sonrisa

Edit: For better collisions and realistic feedback my single objects nearely have 100-300 particles. With lower particles they are not standing together

Not sure I understand the problem, but if the issue is that reducing resolution makes particles too big and they stick out from the surface of your mesh (I guess this is what you mean by “forcing other softbodies at the start”?) note that you don’t have to use the same mesh for blueprint generation and for rendering. You can use entirely different meshes, which allows you to craft a mesh to place particles in a specific pattern.
(04-03-2022, 03:48 PM)josemendez Wrote: Not sure I understand the problem, but if the issue is that reducing resolution makes particles too big and they stick out from the surface of your mesh (I guess this is what you mean by “forcing other softbodies at the start”?)  note that you don’t have to use the same mesh for blueprint generation and for rendering. You can use entirely different meshes, which allows you to craft a mesh to place particles in a specific pattern.
Yes thats what i was asking. "You can use entirely different meshes, which allows you to craft a mesh to place particles in a specific pattern." sorry but didn't understand how to do this. How can I craft mesh from particles ?
(04-03-2022, 04:08 PM)lucass Wrote: "You can use entirely different meshes, which allows you to craft a mesh to place particles in a specific pattern." sorry but didn't understand how to do this. How can I craft mesh from particles ?[/font][/size][/color]

Not craft a mesh from particles, but craft a mesh to generate particles from. What I mean is that you can generate your blueprint using an entirely different mesh, other than the one used for rendering. From the manual:

http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/manua...inner.html

Quote:Generally, you want this object's renderer to use the same mesh you provided as Input Mesh for particle generation. However this is not a must. You can use entirely different meshes for particle generation and rendering.

A simple example: if you're making a cube-shaped softbody but the particles stick out from the faces of the cube too much, you can just use a smaller cube to generate your blueprint, then skin the original, larger cube to it.

Check the video tutorial on skinning, it might be helpful: