Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help  ObiRope setup (help)
Greetings. In general, I tried to set it up but to no avail. The problem is that I tried to increase the length using (stretching scale) but then I found out what I needed using (cursor). Now the problem is this:
If I set Stretching.scale = 1, and Stretch compliance = 0, my rope works as it should, for example:
restLength = 10 is 10 m,
restLength = 1 is 1 m.
But when I try to throw with the help of the ring to which the rope is connected with the help (velocity) the throw does not work for me, the rope pulls the ring back instead of following the ring.

If I set parameters
Stretching.scale = 1, and Stretch compliance = 1,
then my brsook happens normally, but the rope stretches with a large "restLength".
then the following is obtained:
For example:
restLength = 1 is 1 m. and if you do
restLength = 10 is 25 m.

Tell me how to remove a high value of restLength , the rope was not stretched?

Or just tell me or maybe there is already a ready-made solution. I need to make a lasso. on one side of which there will be a ring (in order to catch on the hook), on the other there will be a player who will hold the rope. There will be 3 ropes, and the player must use them to climb up.
The player pulls the joystick and thus the force of the throw and how many meters the player will throw will be calculated. Thus, with a large throw, the rope should unwind to the maximum size (for example, 25 meters)
My head is already boiling, I don’t know how to do it, if you can help, I will be the happiest and most grateful))) Llorar Ángel

I can even call you on Discord if it's convenient.
Hi there!

In your questions, I sense a lot of confusion about how basic physics work. I'll try to help:

(06-02-2022, 11:59 AM)Kizzualx Wrote: But when I try to throw with the help of the ring to which the rope is connected with the help (velocity) the throw does not work for me, the rope pulls the ring back instead of following the ring.

Whether the ring is stopped by the rope or the rope follows the ring, is determined by their relative mass. Just like in the real world: if you throw a rock that's attached to a fishing line, the fishing line will follow the rock wherever it goes. If you throw a paper ball attached to a metal chain, it will be stopped immediately by the chain.

(06-02-2022, 11:59 AM)Kizzualx Wrote: Stretching.scale = 1, and Stretch compliance = 1,
then my brsook happens normally, but the rope stretches with a large "restLength".
.[/font][/color][/size]

Compliance is the inverse of stiffness. Large compliance = low stiffness. By using a stretch compliance of 1, you're telling your rope that it should behave like an extremely elastic rubber and stretch as much as possible. This is the exact opposite of what you want, compliance should be left at 0 in your case.

(06-02-2022, 11:59 AM)Kizzualx Wrote: Tell me how to remove a high value of restLength , the rope was not stretched?

restLength is, as the name implies, the length of the rope at rest. This is its length with no external forces acting upon it, zero stretching. If you have a rope with rest length = 5 and you stretch it until it's 6 meters long, its rest length is still 5. There's two possible things you want:

- Maybe the rope should have a fixed rest length (say, 5 meters), and just follow the ring when you launch it. In this case, no need to use a cursor: the rest length of the rope is always the same, just make sure the mass of the rope is lower than the mass of the ring.

- Maybe the rope should increase in length as you throw the ring. In this case, use a cursor and drive the rope length using the distance between the character and the ring, plus some headroom to avoid the rope being too tense.

kind regards,