Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help  Does both Obi Cloth and ObiRobe are needed to make a football net?
Hello, I have some doubts regarding building a football net for my game.

The main one is presented on the title, does both plugins are necessary to build this?

Beyond that, what about performance (cause if these 2 plugins must be used together, maybe the performance overhead should be a concern here)?

And finally, how hard is to implement it for this particular use case (I'm not an expert programmer)?

My current project is just a penalty game for now, but the plan is to extend to other parts of the sport at some point. The ball is a rigidbody, using a standard sphere collider, with 0.22 scale and 0.43 of mass. The maximum speed of it is around 130 km/h for penalties. But this speed will be increased for free kicks (the most powerful shot recorded was fired at ~210km/h for instance). Additionally, I should add crowd and stadium model at some point, which means more stuff to be processed at runtime. The target platform is PC, but I would like to leave a conversion to mobile viable, if possible...

I would like to buy the/these asset(s) on this sale, Obi is expensive in my country thanks to the exchange, so I want to confirm that it will be a really useful for what I need...

It seems a very good asset by the way, I'm amazed by the results on the preview videos, congratulations!
Hi there,

You don't need both assets, you could get the job done with ObiCloth only. The tensor cables could be done using simple spring joints and a line renderer, both are built-in in Unity.

While you don't need to be a programmer to use Obi, you do need to have a pretty solid foundation on physics simulation, 3D rendering and some basic vector algebra to use it effectively. It's certainly not an easy way to get started with these topics.

Performance should not be a concern, as the scene you describe is pretty simple. Let me know if you need anything, I'll be more than glad to help Sonrisa. cheers!
(12-04-2021, 03:13 PM)josemendez Wrote: Hi there,

You don't need both assets, you could get the job done with ObiCloth only. The tensor cables could be done using simple spring joints and a line renderer, both are built-in in Unity.

While you don't need to be a programmer to use Obi, you do need to have a pretty solid foundation on physics simulation, 3D rendering and some basic vector algebra to use it effectively. It's certainly not an easy way to get started with these topics.

Performance should not be a concern, as the scene you describe is pretty simple. Let me know if you need anything, I'll be more than glad to help Sonrisa. cheers!

Ahh, I see that I got the use of the Obi Rope wrong, I thought that the net was literally build using small ropes or something like that, not that was just used as tensors. Thinking well, a net properly build like a real one with collisions would require a ridiculous amount of processing, my bad.

Well, comparing to my skills on the subjects you quoted, I'm a hell of a programmer lol. But I'm trying to improve my math and physics related to gamedev, cause build a football game already relies on these 2 (my dream is to build a complete football game, but I'm far of that level I'm afraid). Not much choice here, I don't believe there's a better solution than Obi for this case, the alternative is try to build a good net system myself, which I already tried and failed.

What about the ball X net collision considering the specifications from the previous message? Is there no risk the ball to pass through the net with the mentioned speeds?

Another doubt came up, how easier is to build this system with Obi compared to keep trying to build it myself? Asking this cause a friend of mine already suggested to go through this physics simulation path to make this system. His suggestion was to use the built-in cloth component and build/find an equation to predict when and where the ball will collide with the net, adding the respective physical reaction to both ball and net accordingly. While his theory is clear to me, in practice, things are really hard to come up with. I just want to know how much Obi will put me (or doesn't) in the same, miserable, direction lol...
(12-04-2021, 07:04 PM)gabrimo Wrote: Ahh, I see that I got the use of the Obi Rope wrong, I thought that the net was literally build using small ropes or something like that, not that was just used as tensors. Thinking well, a net properly build like a real one with collisions would require a ridiculous amount of processing, my bad.

Yep, it's far simpler and faster to use a mesh with a net texture on it Guiño

(12-04-2021, 07:04 PM)gabrimo Wrote: Well, comparing to my skills on the subjects you quoted, I'm a hell of a programmer lol. But I'm trying to improve my math and physics related to gamedev, cause build a football game already relies on these 2 (my dream is to build a complete football game, but I'm far of that level I'm afraid). Not much choice here, I don't believe there's a better solution than Obi for this case, the alternative is try to build a good net system myself, which I already tried and failed.

Another doubt came up, how easier is to build this system with Obi compared to keep trying to build it myself? Asking this cause a friend of mine already suggested to go through this physics simulation path to make this system. His suggestion was to use the built-in cloth component and build/find an equation to predict when and where the ball will collide with the net, adding the respective physical reaction to both ball and net accordingly. While his theory is clear to me, in practice, things are really hard to come up with. I just want to know how much Obi will put me (or doesn't) in the same, miserable, direction lol...

I've been in exactly the same situation as you. A few years ago I needed a net simulation for a soccer game (not a fifa-like realtime game, more like tactic/turn based stuff). Unity had just removed cloth-rigidbody interaction from their built-in cloth, so there was no way to have the net and the ball react to each other. The ball would just pass trough it. So I implemented my own cloth, and over time it became Obi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY0IEIJek9U
(Note this video is quite old, things have improved considerably since then).

It took me like 4-6 weeks to get the basic stuff working. However, getting things like performance and user experience to acceptable levels took me around 2.5 years. If you have the time, resources and drive, by all means try to do it yourself. It's a lot of fun and you'll learn heaps Sonrisa. I've gathered all material anyone can need to build their own engine, a list of all research articles I used is available on the webpage: http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/references.html

If you decide to use Obi, it will do most of the work for you. You do need to understand some basic stuff about 3D: how meshes and transforms work, what's the difference between local and world space, and a few other things, but I think you'll be fine.

(12-04-2021, 07:04 PM)gabrimo Wrote: What about the ball X net collision considering the specifications from the previous message? Is there no risk the ball to pass through the net with the mentioned speeds?

No problem. This is called tunneling (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ms0Z35GY6pk).
Obi implements continuous collision detection (via speculative contacts), it should be pretty robust. I've also recently added surface collisions to prevent small objects from slipping trough gaps in between cloth particles, so collision detection is continuous both temporally and spatially: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LXeIem4gvM

You can take a look at Obi's manual here:
http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/tutorials/

Take your time reading it and poke around, I can answer any questions you might have.

cheers,
(13-04-2021, 08:05 AM)josemendez Wrote: I've been in exactly the same situation as you. A few years ago I needed a net simulation for a soccer game (not a fifa-like realtime game, more like tactic/turn based stuff). Unity had just removed cloth-rigidbody interaction from their built-in cloth, so there was no way to have the net and the ball react to each other. The ball would just pass trough it. So I implemented my own cloth, and over time it became Obi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY0IEIJek9U

(Note this video is quite old, things have improved considerably since then).

Thanks for the attention. The result on this video seems pretty cool already IMO...

Quote:It took me like 4-6 weeks to get the basic stuff working. However, getting things like performance and user experience to acceptable levels took me around 2.5 years. If you have the time, resources and drive, by all means try to do it yourself. It's a lot of fun and you'll learn heaps Sonrisa. I've gathered all material anyone can need to build their own engine, a list of all research articles I used is available on the webpage: http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/references.html

Well, I'm not a too passionate programmer, I mean, it's cool build things and make them work and everything. But I believe it isn't my favorite part of process, considering that some subjects are painful to be learned. While I do have some time, I must focus in the right things to make my project keep going, so I can't afford spend too many time in such a small session of the game...

Quote:If you decide to use Obi, it will do most of the work for you. You do need to understand some basic stuff about 3D: how meshes and transforms work, what's the difference between local and world space, and a few other things, but I think you'll be fine.

Well, Considering what you said, Obi is my best chance to get this thing working without losing a ton of time researching on my own, I wish I had such good solutions as Obi for some harder problems that I have no clue how to solve either....

Quote:No problem. This is called tunneling (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ms0Z35GY6pk).

Obi implements continuous collision detection (via speculative contacts), it should be pretty robust. I've also recently added surface collisions to prevent small objects from slipping trough gaps in between cloth particles, so collision detection is continuous both temporally and spatially: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LXeIem4gvM

Nice demonstration and explanation about tunneling...

Quote:You can take a look at Obi's manual here:
http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/tutorials/

Take your time reading it and poke around, I can answer any questions you might have.

Yeah, I started to read some initial topics, after the purchase, I'll continue to read the docs and learn how to use it.

Bye man.