Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
particle editor not working on macos
Hi,
I installed Obi Cloth 5.3 on my macos (Catalina 10.15.4) on Unity 2019.3.13f1 and when I try to edit particles on a cloth blueprint, the editor seems broken.
- The circle position seems off compared to the mouse pointer and seems useless.
- Sometimes selecting with left click does not do anything
- In the hierarchy view, the component does not detect that I selected some particles (when I sometimes can actually select some). It says 'no particles selected' even when some are highlighted/selected.
I tried it on Windows and it works just fine, so this seems to be a macOs specific issue.

Is there any fix/workaround for this?

Thanks.
(24-05-2020, 09:49 PM)lbouis Wrote: Hi,
I installed Obi Cloth 5.3 on my macos (Catalina 10.15.4) on Unity 2019.3.13f1 and when I try to edit particles on a cloth blueprint, the editor seems broken.
- The circle position seems off compared to the mouse pointer and seems useless.
- Sometimes selecting with left click does not do anything
- In the hierarchy view, the component does not detect that I selected some particles (when I sometimes can actually select some). It says 'no particles selected' even when some are highlighted/selected.
I tried it on Windows and it works just fine, so this seems to be a macOs specific issue.

Is there any fix/workaround for this?

Thanks.

Hi there,

Mac is our primary development platform (we write everything there, then port to Windows/Linux etc), but we haven't been able to reproduce this on two different machines: Mac Pro (2016) and Macbook Air (2014).

What kind of screen are you using? is it a retina/high density screen?

kind regards,
(25-05-2020, 08:50 AM)josemendez Wrote: Hi there,

Mac is our primary development platform (we write everything there, then port to Windows/Linux etc), but we haven't been able to reproduce this on two different machines: Mac Pro (2016) and Macbook Air (2014).

What kind of screen are you using? is it a retina/high density screen?

kind regards,

Hi Jose,
So strange, this might be a 'user' error then, maybe I am not using the tool properly but I can't figure it out yet (and it seems to work on windows).
I have attached a screenshot of what I see. In the screenshot you see the circle not aligned with the mouse pointer and when I left click, particles below the mouse pointer get selected, not the ones inside the circle, which makes it super difficult to select particles precisely. Also sporadically, left clicking doesn't even select anything (but not sure how to reproduce this yet).
Also note the text in the inspector that says 'no particles selected' even though some are highlighted in orange.

I am using:
macbook pro 15inch, 2016
Intel HD Graphics 530 1536 MB
15.4-inch (2880 x 1800)

(28-05-2020, 12:44 AM)lbouis Wrote: Hi Jose,
So strange, this might be a 'user' error then, maybe I am not using the tool properly but I can't figure it out yet (and it seems to work on windows).
I have attached a screenshot of what I see. In the screenshot you see the circle not aligned with the mouse pointer and when I left click, particles below the mouse pointer get selected, not the ones inside the circle, which makes it super difficult to select particles precisely. Also sporadically, left clicking doesn't even select anything (but not sure how to reproduce this yet).
Also note the text in the inspector that says 'no particles selected' even though some are highlighted in orange.

I am using:
macbook pro 15inch, 2016
Intel HD Graphics 530 1536 MB
15.4-inch (2880 x 1800)

Hi there,

Judging by the resolution of your screen, it is most likely a high-density screen. Unity might be doing something under the hood to convert screen coordinates in high-density screens that I'm not aware of (pixels != points), that might explain the offset between the brush gizmo and the mouse pointer.

Will try it on a retina screen and get back to you.
(28-05-2020, 04:05 PM)josemendez Wrote: Hi there,

Judging by the resolution of your screen, it is most likely a high-density screen. Unity might be doing something under the hood to convert screen coordinates in high-density screens that I'm not aware of (pixels != points), that might explain the offset between the brush gizmo and the mouse pointer.

Will try it on a retina screen and get back to you.

Thanks for looking into it. Note that I tried to manually change the screen resolution (under display preferences) but that did not fix the issue.
It's also a bit strange that even though I managed to select some particles, the inspector screen still says that nothing is selected..
Also, probably unrelated (and maybe harmless) but I see this exception in the console when I click on 'done'
NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
Obi.ObiActorBlueprintEditor.ExitBlueprintEditMode () (at Assets/Obi/Editor/Common/Blueprints/ObiActorBlueprintEditor.cs:229)
UnityEditor.EditorApplication.Internal_CallDelayFunctions () (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/EditorApplication.cs:322)
(28-05-2020, 06:01 PM)lbouis Wrote: Thanks for looking into it. Note that I tried to manually change the screen resolution (under display preferences) but that did not fix the issue.
It's also a bit strange that even though I managed to select some particles, the inspector screen still says that nothing is selected..
Also, probably unrelated (and maybe harmless) but I see this exception in the console when I click on 'done'
NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
Obi.ObiActorBlueprintEditor.ExitBlueprintEditMode () (at Assets/Obi/Editor/Common/Blueprints/ObiActorBlueprintEditor.cs:229)
UnityEditor.EditorApplication.Internal_CallDelayFunctions () (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/EditorApplication.cs:322)

I am seeing these same issues on macOS. The blueprint editor has multiple issues.
e.g. I select points but it still says no particles selected.
Sometimes the cursor is offset.
When I select particle groups they do not appear.
Changing brush size has no effect.
I've tried various versions of unity to see if that fixes it but no luck yet. I am currently on 2019.2.9f1

I am getting this error when I try to select a particle group:

IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
Obi.ObiParticleSelectionEditorTool.<InitializeGroupsList>b__8_1 (UnityEngine.Rect rect, System.Int32 index, System.Boolean isActive, System.Boolean isFocused) (at Assets/Obi/Editor/Common/Blueprints/BlueprintEditorTools/ObiParticleSelectionEditorTool.cs:73)
UnityEditorInternal.ReorderableList.DoListElements (UnityEngine.Rect listRect) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/GUI/ReorderableList.cs:589)
UnityEditorInternal.ReorderableList.DoLayoutList () (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/GUI/ReorderableList.cs:396)
Obi.ObiParticleSelectionEditorTool.OnInspectorGUI () (at Assets/Obi/Editor/Common/Blueprints/BlueprintEditorTools/ObiParticleSelectionEditorTool.cs:220)
Obi.ObiActorBlueprintEditor.DrawTools () (at Assets/Obi/Editor/Common/Blueprints/ObiActorBlueprintEditor.cs:430)
Obi.ObiActorBlueprintEditor.OnInspectorGUI () (at Assets/Obi/Editor/Common/Blueprints/ObiActorBlueprintEditor.cs:144)
UnityEditor.UIElements.InspectorElement+<CreateIMGUIInspectorFromEditor>c__AnonStorey1.<>m__0 () (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Inspector/InspectorElement.cs:501)
UnityEngine.GUIUtilityLenguarocessEvent(Int32, IntPtr) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/IMGUI/GUIUtility.cs:179)
(08-06-2020, 01:13 PM)Andrew Graham Wrote: I am seeing these same issues on macOS. The blueprint editor has multiple issues.
e.g. I select points but it still says no particles selected.
Sometimes the cursor is offset.
When I select particle groups they do not appear.
Changing brush size has no effect.
I've tried various versions of unity to see if that fixes it but no luck yet. I am currently on 2019.2.9f1

I am getting this error when I try to select a particle group:

IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
Obi.ObiParticleSelectionEditorTool.<InitializeGroupsList>b__8_1 (UnityEngine.Rect rect, System.Int32 index, System.Boolean isActive, System.Boolean isFocused) (at Assets/Obi/Editor/Common/Blueprints/BlueprintEditorTools/ObiParticleSelectionEditorTool.cs:73)
UnityEditorInternal.ReorderableList.DoListElements (UnityEngine.Rect listRect) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/GUI/ReorderableList.cs:589)
UnityEditorInternal.ReorderableList.DoLayoutList () (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/GUI/ReorderableList.cs:396)
Obi.ObiParticleSelectionEditorTool.OnInspectorGUI () (at Assets/Obi/Editor/Common/Blueprints/BlueprintEditorTools/ObiParticleSelectionEditorTool.cs:220)
Obi.ObiActorBlueprintEditor.DrawTools () (at Assets/Obi/Editor/Common/Blueprints/ObiActorBlueprintEditor.cs:430)
Obi.ObiActorBlueprintEditor.OnInspectorGUI () (at Assets/Obi/Editor/Common/Blueprints/ObiActorBlueprintEditor.cs:144)
UnityEditor.UIElements.InspectorElement+<CreateIMGUIInspectorFromEditor>c__AnonStorey1.<>m__0 () (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Inspector/InspectorElement.cs:501)
UnityEngine.GUIUtilityLenguarocessEvent(Int32, IntPtr) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/IMGUI/GUIUtility.cs:179)

Hi there,

We develop on Mac (it is our primary platform), but I've been unable to reproduce any of this. More info on the issue would be of great help. Does this happen consistently? Are you using a custom mesh for generating the blueprint?