Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Softbody Particle Attachment
Hello,
I am trying to have something like a metal sheet simulated by Obi softbody and I want to attach handles on both sides (left and right). Is it possible to achieve this? The behaviour I want is when pulling one handle the other handle should follow but if force is being applied to both handles then the sheet should bend. Imagine it like grabbing a metal sheet with both hands and then bending it around. Some tips would be much appreciated.
(10-03-2020, 08:50 AM)buscfred Wrote: Hello,
I am trying to have something like a metal sheet simulated by Obi softbody and I want to attach handles on both sides (left and right). Is it possible to achieve this? The behaviour I want is when pulling one handle the other handle should follow but if force is being applied to both handles then the sheet should bend. Imagine it like grabbing a metal sheet with both hands and then bending it around. Some tips would be much appreciated.

Hi,

Simply use two (dynamic) particle attachments at both sides of the sheet. Moving either will move the other (because both are attached to the sheet), but bringing both closer together will bend the sheet. See:
http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/tutor...ments.html
(10-03-2020, 09:50 AM)josemendez Wrote: Hi,

Simply use two (dynamic) particle attachments at both sides of the sheet. Moving either will move the other (because both are attached to the sheet), but bringing both closer together will bend the sheet. See:
http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/tutor...ments.html

What do the gameobjects i set as target for the Particle Attachment need? I can't get it to work the way I want. When starting the objects are floating a little bit behind my softbody (not attached at the spots i want them to be) and when moving one the other one doesnt move at all.
(10-03-2020, 01:18 PM)buscfred Wrote: What do the gameobjects i set as target for the Particle Attachment need? I can't get it to work the way I want. When starting the objects are floating a little bit behind my softbody (not attached at the spots i want them to be) and when moving one the other one doesnt move at all.

Are these objects rigidbodies? GameObjects with no Rigidbody component cannot move as a result of physical simulation. Also make sure the attachment is set to "dynamic".
(10-03-2020, 01:39 PM)josemendez Wrote: Are these objects rigidbodies? GameObjects with no Rigidbody component cannot move as a result of physical simulation. Also make sure the attachment is set to "dynamic".

Both objects are rigidbodies. If I dont check Is Kinematic the whole consteallation starts randomly bugging through my scene. And if I check Is Kinematic they move independently and the sheet is not able to bend.
(10-03-2020, 02:14 PM)buscfred Wrote: Both objects are rigidbodies. If I dont check Is Kinematic the whole consteallation starts randomly bugging through my scene. And if I check Is Kinematic they move independently and the sheet is not able to bend.

Kinematic rigidbodies are of course completely unaffected by physics. They must be non-kinematic for this to work.

Make sure the mass ratio between the rigidbodies and the soft body particles is not huge (that is, give them similar masses). Also if you have collision constraints enabled in your solver, make sure your objects do not overlap the softbody particles. Or, if they do, give them the same phase as your particles to deactivate collisions between them as explained in the last section of this page:
http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/tutor...aints.html