Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help  Pulling on a slack rope laying on the ground
So I've made a a small S-shaped slack of rope and it's laying on the ground (terrain).

When I pull one side of it, the whole rope (including the bendy slack) moves with the pulled end.

The rope should pull straight and give up that S-shape, but mine doesn't. If I pull it straight up into the air, then it does! Gravity pulls the rope straight and it looks really loose and proper. But dragging it across the ground does not.

I'm sure I have some settings incorrect, but I cannot figure it out!
(13-02-2020, 09:58 PM)basilisk Wrote: So I've made a a small S-shaped slack of rope and it's laying on the ground (terrain).

When I pull one side of it, the whole rope (including the bendy slack) moves with the pulled end.

The rope should pull straight and give up that S-shape, but mine doesn't. If I pull it straight up into the air, then it does! Gravity pulls the rope straight and it looks really loose and proper. But dragging it across the ground does not.

I'm sure I have some settings incorrect, but I cannot figure it out!

Hi,

Well, the basic setup with an attachment at one end works fine for me. Can you give more details about your setup? I'm not psychic! (just kidding Guiño).

My best bet would be that you're actually moving the solver, not the rope. Moving the solver around moves the entire simulation space. Simulation is always performed in solver space as explained in the manual:

http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/tutor...olver.html

So by doing this you're translating the entire rope, not just one end. This way, the S shape is rigidly translated over the floor. Once you move it up, gravity makes the rope fall (still in solver space), as you describe.
(14-02-2020, 09:48 AM)josemendez Wrote: Hi,

Well, the basic setup with an attachment at one end works fine for me. Can you give more details about your setup? I'm not psychic! (just kidding Guiño).

My best bet would be that you're actually moving the solver, not the rope. Moving the solver around moves the entire simulation space. Simulation is always performed in solver space as explained in the manual:

http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/tutor...olver.html

So by doing this you're translating the entire rope, not just one end. This way, the S shape is rigidly translated over the floor. Once you move it up, gravity makes the rope fall (still in solver space), as you describe.

Yep! I was moving the solver as well! That fixed it. Thank you for your help (again)!