Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help  Rope Car winch
Hello,
just bought the obi rope asset, I need it in order to make a car winch.The winch needs to have a hook (grab-able by the player) and attachable to the rope itself, after the player walks around a mesh colider (such as a tree) the rope needs to get shorter (i got the idea on how to do it from the grapple hook demo). The hook would attach to a section of the rope, doing a lasso kind of shape via a stitcher (?) or possibly create a closed rope loop where the lasso loop is, and create a second rope from the hook object to the car winch(?) also from what I see, the rope has difficult time pulling heavy objects without stretching (alot) so I would have to apply some artificial force to the car (or some motor torque on the wheels) to actually move the car in the hook direction i guess?
Anyway, since I havent worked with obi ropes, I would appreciate some pointers in the right direction, which components to use and general approach.
Thank you!

P.S. i want to get as close as possible to the jeep winch system seen in uncharted.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(16-01-2020, 02:25 AM)lvladimirov Wrote: Hello,
just bought the obi rope asset, I need it in order to make a car winch.The winch needs to have a hook (grab-able by the player) and attachable to the rope itself, after the player walks around a mesh colider (such as a tree) the rope needs to get shorter (i got the idea on how to do it from the grapple hook demo). The hook would attach to a section of the rope, doing a lasso kind of shape via a stitcher (?) or possibly create a closed rope loop where the lasso loop is, and create a second rope from the hook object to the car winch(?) also from what I see, the rope has difficult time pulling heavy objects without stretching (alot) so I would have to apply some artificial force to the car (or some motor torque on the wheels) to actually move the car in the hook direction i guess?
Anyway, since I havent worked with obi ropes, I would appreciate some pointers in the right direction, which components to use and general approach.
Thank you!

P.S. i want to get as close as possible to the jeep winch system seen in uncharted.

Hi there!

If I understood correctly, you want the end of the rope to have a hook that hooks on the rope itself, kinda like a slip knot.

Stitchers are meant to "glue" particles, but will not allow the hook to slip on the rope. Relying on collision detection between the hook and the rope is not a good idea, because of tunneling. Depending on what your needs are, using an actual, physical rope for the "lasso" section could be a bad idea in general. I'd use a rope only for the section between the hook and the car, and rely on some other system for the lasso. Note that both attachments (to the car, and to the lasso/hook) should be done using dynamic attachments, to allow for two-way coupling:
http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/tutor...ments.html

Regarding rope elasticity when pulling heavy objects, this is a common trait to all iterative solvers. The solution is also the same: increase the amount of distance iterations or substeps. See this manual page for a more in-depth description of how Obi works internally and how iterations and substeps affect the quality of the results:
http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/tutor...gence.html
(16-01-2020, 11:28 AM)josemendez Wrote: Hi there!

If I understood correctly, you want the end of the rope to have a hook that hooks on the rope itself, kinda like a slip knot.

Stitchers are meant to "glue" particles, but will not allow the hook to slip on the rope. Relying on collision detection between the hook and the rope is not a good idea, because of tunneling. Depending on what your needs are, using an actual, physical rope for the "lasso" section could be a bad idea in general. I'd use a rope only for the section between the hook and the car, and rely on some other system for the lasso. Note that both attachments (to the car, and to the lasso/hook) should be done using dynamic attachments, to allow for two-way coupling:
http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/tutor...ments.html

Regarding rope elasticity when pulling heavy objects, this is a common trait to all iterative solvers. The solution is also the same: increase the amount of distance iterations or substeps. See this manual page for a more in-depth description of how Obi works internally and how iterations and substeps affect the quality of the results:
http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/tutor...gence.html

Hello Jose,
i figured that the hook sliding up and down the rope would be a bad idea, one way is to fix it (stitch) relative to the rope (at the attached point).
A different approach I was considering was the possibility of two ropes acting as one, the hook (after its attached to the rope)would just be a game object that connects the lasso (which will be the closed loop around the tree) and the other rope (from the hook to the car), this way i can increase distance from the winch to the car by making the rope longer  and decrease it in the lasso section, simulating the hook moving towards the tree and tightening the loop. However that would require to replace a single rope with two separate ropes exactly at the moment the hook is attached, so I will probably  go with Fixed hook relative to the rope (at least for now).

p.s. , What could be problematic with the lasso part if I fix the hook relative to the rope (fixing the lasso diameter) and Do you have any suggestion on the lasso approach, thank you!