Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
attach softbodies
Hello, community. I have saw this link

http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/tutor...ments.html

It have tried the three way but that seems can't reach what I want. And is it the second and third way can't work in softbody?

Sometimes I need two attach two differernt softbodies.For example,two sphere are both obi softbody.If i make a group they don't connected.They can't act like a whole softbody.

[Image: IpN0wDf.png]
Another situation is if some objects they have different materials,then they will have seperated meshes.Like this pumpkin model i download.

[Image: 63AP3jS.png]

So if i add the obisoftbody to the mesh independently.They can't move together.
[Image: D46YxrF.png]

Do u have any suggetions?Thanks
(27-05-2019, 08:53 AM)wenzy Wrote: Hello, community. I have saw this link

http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/tutor...ments.html

It have tried the three way but that seems can't reach what I want. And is it the second and third way can't work in softbody?

Sometimes I need two attach two differernt softbodies.For example,two sphere are both obi softbody.If i make a group they don't connected.They can't act like a whole softbody.

[Image: IpN0wDf.png]
Another situation is if some objects they have different materials,then they will have seperated meshes.Like this pumpkin model i download.

[Image: 63AP3jS.png]

So if i add the obisoftbody to the mesh independently.They can't move together.
[Image: D46YxrF.png]

Do u have any suggetions?Thanks

Hi Wenzy,

Parenting two softbodies under the same transform won't "attach" them, just like parenting two rigidbodies doesn't attach them either. Parent-child relationships only work as you expect them to for static objects. To attach softbodies you need to use constraints, just like you need joints to attach rigidbodies.

If you have separate meshes, just use a ObiSoftbodySkinner for each of them, to skin both meshes to the same particle soft body.
(29-05-2019, 03:22 PM)josemendez Wrote: Hi Wenzy,

Parenting two softbodies under the same transform won't "attach" them, just like parenting two rigidbodies doesn't attach them either. Parent-child relationships only work as you expect them to for static objects. To attach softbodies you need to use constraints, just like you need joints to attach rigidbodies.

If you have separate meshes, just use a ObiSoftbodySkinner for each of them, to skin both meshes to the same particle soft body.

Hi,

I am trying to do something similar, attach two softbodies. Using pin constraints we can attach a softbody to a rigidbody. But It doesnt work when I make both of them softbodies. Also it is required to later detach these two softbodies apart so we need to start the scene with the softbodies attached to each other and on interacting with them later detach them apart?
How can we do that?

Thank You
(17-07-2019, 10:12 AM)ctalDai Wrote: Hi,

I am trying to do something similar, attach two softbodies. Using pin constraints we can attach a softbody to a rigidbody. But It doesnt work when I make both of them softbodies. Also it is required to later detach these two softbodies apart so we need to start the scene with the softbodies attached to each other and on interacting with them later detach them apart?
How can we do that?

Thank You

Hi,

There's no built-in way to attach softbodies to softbodies, you need to programmatically add distance constraints between particles belong to different softbodies. We're curently working to add this feature, as a simple to use component that does it automatically for you. Pin constraints are designed to interface with Unity's own physics engine, so they only support rigidbodies.

kind regards,
(17-07-2019, 10:41 AM)josemendez Wrote: Hi,

There's no built-in way to attach softbodies to softbodies, you need to programmatically add distance constraints between particles belong to different softbodies. We're curently working to add this feature, as a simple to use component that does it automatically for you. Pin constraints are designed to interface with Unity's own physics engine, so they only support rigidbodies.

kind regards,

Hi,

Thank you for the quick response. Can you tell me how much time before the component is available?
Can you guide me or point me to direction to how to do it programmatically? The requirement is first add the distance constraint before the scene begins and later using interaction(in VR) remove the constraint so as we are pulling them apart.

Also, I am also thinking of using animation to achieve this. Make an fbx file with the mesh attached at first and have animation of the mesh being pulled apart so we can play the animation procedurally to detach the mesh apart on interaction. Do you think I can have animated mesh to behave as soft bodies?

Thank you