Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help  How to damp the swing in the Freight Lifter scenario?
(23-01-2023, 10:31 AM)josemendez Wrote: You specifically mention the pendulum/load instead of the rope, rigidbodies in Unity have a specific setting for this: drag. This erodes linear velocity away to make the object come to a rest position faster. There's also an angular/rotational version of it, that will cause objects to stop rotating faster. Check the manual for details: https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/class-Rigidbody.html

If you want to damp rope movement too (or instead), Obi has a similar setting called damping, that you can find in the ObiSolver component.

Yep, I found the Obi Solver's damping for the ropes themselves.  I do like the effect of a small amount of it.

As for the Rigidbody drag, that would make sway worse on the start of crane motion.  I am kinda looking for the best way to fake/cheese the simulation to reduce sway deflection on start AND end of a crane motion.  Artificially adding a little movement to the platform when the top of the crane moves, so they stay more in sync vertically, rather than having the platform "catch up" and then overshoot.  I don't want to completely fake it by kinematically moving the platform in unison with the crane and letting the pinned ropes just wiggle, but I might have to do that.

Messages In This Thread
RE: How to damp the swing in the Freight Lifter scenario? - by hariedo - 23-01-2023, 05:38 PM