Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help  Burst backend produces array out of range errors
(25-01-2022, 07:39 AM)locque Wrote: Finally managed to get Burst running, but only in 2019.4 with Jobs 0.2.10.

There must have been a massive change in the 0.11.0 Jobs update, which asks you to recompile scripts and replace obsolete APIs unlike all other version leading up to it. Unfortunately that's the only version that works with 2020.3, every older version causes this error:

If Unity asks you to update obsolete APIs, do not accept (at least at first). Chances are it will break the existing code, Unity even warns you to make a backup just in case. This is because the auto-updater only works well in trivial cases - name function changed, property replaced by a method, etc. Most of the time it will render things useless.

Obsolete APIs are "simply" deprecated, which means they are subject to change/removal in the future. This is typically the case with preview packages, however doesn't mean the code is broken in any way.

This being said, I just reimported Obi and tested what happens if you let Unity automatically update the code and it made no difference for me. Things still ran perfectly afterwards, using jobs 0.11.0.

(25-01-2022, 07:39 AM)locque Wrote: I'm building for x64 Windows, does Burst perform better than Oni on that platform? I do want to get the best performance I can get, but if it's a marginal difference I'm not sure that's worth downgrading my workflow to 2019.4.

Burst does perform slightly better than Oni in Windows (difference is negligible, maybe 0.1-0.2 ms) but it also has much better profiling tools, integrated with Unity's profiler. You also have the full C# source at your disposal, which can be a good thing if you want to future-proof your project (I can also make the Oni C++ sources available to you, but you'd need to recompile them and that's cumbersome).

If you don't see the project needing maintenance 10 years into the future, or don't care about profiling there's no downside to using Oni as your backend.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Burst backend produces array out of range errors - by josemendez - 25-01-2022, 09:21 AM