Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tons of problems trying to simulate simple rope without elasticity
Hi!

(13-01-2022, 05:44 AM)Romahaaa Wrote: when rope is not collided with surface or other colliders rope is not so stretchy but when it collides with a surface, it behaves like a metal string - the rope can push the attached object...looks really weird.
Here is an example using your RopeAndJoints scene: video

- The rope has zero max bending, so it will behave as closely to a rigid string as possible (given the solver budget).
- It has zero max compression, so it has the exact same pull and push resistance. It's not allowed to compress (lose volume).

So what you show in the video is the intended result: a rigid-as-possible rope (again, given timestep and iteration budget), that will push the object around as well as pull from it.

If you don't want this effect, increase max bending and max compression parameters (both found in the rope component itself): this will allow the rope to bend easily, and compress instead of pushing the object around:

If you want the rope to coil/bend instead of compress, but still don't push the object, increase max bending only and leave max compression to zero.

(13-01-2022, 05:44 AM)Romahaaa Wrote: Again, as I said before I checked ALL the documentation you have. I used as a sample your own scene and you can see the result in the video above. Please, stop refer to some solutions in documentation because IT DOES NOT WORK. Seems your asset is able to do some simulations without 2nd object attachment affected by physics. Rope just isn't a rope.

I'm sorry, I can feel your frustration with this. The solutions I referred to totally work for me, I can help with your use case if you want. Just send me your scene to support(at)virtualmethodstudio.com and I'll do my best to adjust it.

(13-01-2022, 05:44 AM)Romahaaa Wrote: Nope, it's not. You can see clearly that your sphere and the rope in the same RopeAndJoints scene behave same way. video

That's because the solver and the sphere rigidbody are using interpolation (for the smooth slow-mo/bullet-time effect in that particular scene), so it will always have a 1-frame delay as warned in the manual:

http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/manua...olver.html
Quote:Keep in mind that interpolation introduces a 1-frame delay. This is specially important to keep in mind when attaching actors to other objects.

Disable interpolation in both the rigidbody and the rope. In this video I have set the timescale to 20% so that the simulation is slow enough to see any gaps that may appear:

Note that a small gap can still appear if the rope is overstretched (such as when you suddenly jerk the rope around with great force), but that's not possible to avoid. If the rope is 2 meters long but the distance between attachments at its ends is 3 meters, it will stretch and gaps will unavoidably appear.

(13-01-2022, 05:44 AM)Romahaaa Wrote: Conclusion - I am pretty sure that you couldn't setup it the similar way I need it as well.

I'm not sure what specific results you're after, but attaching an object to a rope shouldn't pose any problems. It's a very simple setup that I've seen done hundreds of times in many projects over the years, under very challenging simulation conditions. Maybe if you present a reference video of the results you want I can help you get closer to them or give you a sample scene that approximates it.

kind regards,

Messages In This Thread
RE: Tons of problems trying to simulate simple rope without elasticity - by josemendez - 13-01-2022, 08:22 AM