Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help  Poor Performance In VR
(11-11-2020, 08:49 AM)josemendez Wrote: Both profiler pics clearly show 5 (!) physics steps per frame.

In Unity, you can tell because next to the FixedUpdate.ScriptRunBehaviourFixedUpdateCall, in the "Calls" column, it says '5'.

The Oni profiler shows 5 separate physics updates per frame. (5 columns of spaced apart stuff).

This is typical a case of death spiraling. Reduce your max fixed timestep setting, or optimize the simulation (by reducing the amount of iterations, using a larger timestep, using a smaller neighborhood radius...) until the spiral is no longer triggered.

If this happens without fluid present in the scene, it means your game is just too heavy for the device it is running on. Frames take too long to render, and this forces the physics engine(s) to run several times per frame in order to catch up with rendering, which further worsens performance.

I just noticed the time settings photo wasn't uploaded. The VR headset runs on 90 fps thus fixed timestep is 0.011;
[Image: Screenshot-2020-11-11-114552.jpg]

I've tried playing with these settings, however, nothing seemed to make things better. Obi is also set to 1 physics step per frame with no substeps. 
I'm not entirely sure what do you mean by "using a smaller neighborhood radius", could you elaborate?

Messages In This Thread
Poor Performance In VR - by SyDRoX - 10-11-2020, 06:09 PM
RE: Poor Performance In VR - by josemendez - 11-11-2020, 08:49 AM
RE: Poor Performance In VR - by SyDRoX - 11-11-2020, 10:45 AM
RE: Poor Performance In VR - by josemendez - 11-11-2020, 11:01 AM