Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bug / Crash  Obi Crash
Once I switched to 4.1 I keep getting crashes. Just general Unity crashes without any description. I cannot send you the scene that recreates the bug, because it's way too big, but I have localized the mesh and the scene - It's not reproducable in this scene, possibly because everything is cut but I really hope it will help to find the problem. The crash is not consistent too - sometimes it happens sometimes it does not. I tried turning everything off in my scene, running the scene, stopping the play mode, then slowly turning everything on one by one and sometimes it stops the problem from happening. Sometimes the crash won't happen untill a few seconds/mitutes of play mode has passed.

Please help me to help you to find the problem, because your whole tool is unusable for me now.

Yeah forgot to mention: my Unity is 2018.3 and Obi consistently crashes if I try to "simulate in edit mode".

The file:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TsR5uZc...sp=sharing
(22-05-2019, 07:05 PM)cubrman Wrote: Once I switched to 4.1 I keep getting crashes. Just general Unity crashes without any description. I cannot send you the scene that recreates the bug, because it's way too big, but I have localized the mesh and the scene - It's not reproducable in this scene, possibly because everything is cut but I really hope it will help to find the problem. The crash is not consistent too - sometimes it happens sometimes it does not. I tried turning everything off in my scene, running the scene, stopping the play mode, then slowly turning everything on one by one and sometimes it stops the problem from happening. Sometimes the crash won't happen untill a few seconds/mitutes of play mode has passed.

Please help me to help you to find the problem, because your whole tool is unusable for me now.

Yeah forgot to mention: my Unity is 2018.3 and Obi consistently crashes if I try to "simulate in edit mode".

The file:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TsR5uZc...sp=sharing

Hi!

I will take a look at this. We haven't encountered any issues though, and the solver itself in 4.1 hasn't had any substantial changes compared to 4.0 or even 3.x. I'll get back to you asap with more info.
I really hope you can reply.
(25-05-2019, 02:14 PM)cubrman Wrote: I really hope you can reply.

Hi there,

I took a look at the wire/bulbs scene in your project, but couldn't get it to crash. I'm using Unity 2018.3 too, under Windows 64 bit. Does not crash in editor, in a standalone build, or when clicking "play" in the particle editor. I left a standalone build running overnight yesterday, this morning it was still running. However the wire had gained a lot of energy due to the pin constraints conflicting with the collision constraints, so it was flinging around like crazy.

Can you provide a crash log, so that I can take a look at the stack trace?

kind regards,
(25-05-2019, 03:29 PM)josemendez Wrote: Hi there,

I took a look at the wire/bulbs scene in your project, but couldn't get it to crash. I'm using Unity 2018.3 too, under Windows 64 bit. Does not crash in editor, in a standalone build, or when clicking "play" in the particle editor. I left a standalone build running overnight yesterday, this morning it was still running. However the wire had gained a lot of energy due to the pin constraints conflicting with the collision constraints, so it was flinging around like crazy.

Can you provide a crash log, so that I can take a look at the stack trace?

kind regards,

Just as I expected. Most likely one of the plugins/assets I have is clashing with your tool. I will try to pinpoint it when I have the time.
Well something really bad is happening. I hoped the problem is with other plugins/assets that I use, but it's not. I've just created a fresh fersion of Unity editor (3D template, 2018.4.2 f1) and downloaded the latest version of Obi. Opened the "Wind" scene, selected Flag2, opened particle editor and pressed play and the editor crashed instantly.

I have sent a bug report to Unity and I am attaching the project, the screenshots of what I did and the crash files (that were sent to Unity with the report) to this answer - in case you want to look at them.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Fl_vn7c...sp=sharing

Yeah one more thing, these were the errors I saw when I imported Obi into the new project:
(13-06-2019, 10:04 AM)cubrman Wrote: Well something really bad is happening. I hoped the problem is with other plugins/assets that I use, but it's not. I've just created a fresh fersion of Unity editor (3D template, 2018.4.2 f1) and downloaded the latest version of Obi. Opened the "Wind" scene, selected Flag2, opened particle editor and pressed play and the editor crashed instantly.

I have sent a bug report to Unity and I am attaching the project, the screenshots of what I did and the crash files (that were sent to Unity with the report) to this answer - in case you want to look at them.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Fl_vn7c...sp=sharing

Yeah one more thing, these were the errors I saw when I imported Obi into the new project:

Hi,

This is relatively normal with assets that are based on native plugins. Simply reinitialize Unity after importing the asset. See the FAQ:
http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/tutorials/
(13-06-2019, 10:29 AM)josemendez Wrote: Hi,

This is relatively normal with assets that are based on native plugins. Simply reinitialize Unity after importing  the asset. See the FAQ:
http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/tutorials/

Well in the process of fighting the actual crash I restarted the editor multiple times over. I ignored the errors always as I always ignore errors that disapear once you press "Clear", but my problem is the crashes and all I wanted to do was to include as much information for you as possible that's all. The restart does not solve the crashes. Obviously.
(13-06-2019, 05:06 PM)cubrman Wrote: Well in the process of fighting the actual crash I restarted the editor multiple times over. I ignored the errors always as I always ignore errors that disapear once you press "Clear", but my problem is the crashes and all I wanted to do was to include as much information for you as possible that's all. The restart does not solve the crashes. Obviously.

Hi,

I'm taking a look at the crash log you sent. As soon as i figure out what the problem is I'll get back to you.
Hi,

Managed to reproduce the issue. It only seems to happen under Windows, and behavior is a bit erratic. Safest way to reproduce is to hit play in the particle editor in the Wind sample scene, indeed. Does not happen 100% of the time but something is definitely going on.

Will try to fix it asap and provide a patch. Thanks for reporting this!