Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help  Rope not affected by gravity
(30-10-2022, 08:35 PM)MarieGrasmeier Wrote: Hi José,

been trying out obi rope for the entire day now and facing a lot of difficulties (as seems to be normal when new to it if I understand from this forum here :-)).

Hi Marie,

Obi is a rather large engine, aimed at intermediate-advanced developers. So it's not uncommon to struggle with it at first, specially if you don't have a fair bit of experience with physics simulation. Rest assured that over time you'll get the hang of it, and I'm here to help.

(30-10-2022, 08:35 PM)MarieGrasmeier Wrote: One issue is: I set up a rope in a test project (actually modified the fire hose sample by removing the pump script which I do not need). Everything looked quite nice in the test project. The I turned it into a prefab and imported it to an existing project: The problem: in this project, the rope (hose) is not affected by gravity, it just stays up in the air where it is.

I am not super sure if this is even an obi rope specific question but since it is not a rigidbody I am somehow lost and do not have an idea where to look for a solution. So please apologize in case this might be super off-topic.

Many thanks and best wishes,
Marie

In your case, chances are the solver's sleep threshold is keeping the rope asleep. The sleep threshold is a kinematic energy threshold (1/2 mv^2) so if the velocity of your rope is small, gravitational acceleration is small, the project's timestep is small, or the mass of the particles is small, the default threshold value will put them to sleep immediately.

Simply try reducing the sleep threshold, that should help. You can even set it to zero if you don't want particles to ever become asleep. See:
http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/manua...olver.html

kind regards,

Messages In This Thread
Rope not affected by gravity - by MarieGrasmeier - 30-10-2022, 08:35 PM
RE: Rope not affected by gravity - by josemendez - 31-10-2022, 08:04 AM
RE: Rope not affected by gravity - by josemendez - 31-10-2022, 09:40 AM
RE: Rope not affected by gravity - by josemendez - 31-10-2022, 11:04 AM