Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help  Poor performance when enabled surface collision
(09-09-2022, 10:07 AM)josemendez Wrote: Hi!

Surface collisions are a bit more costly than normal, particle-based collisions. If you're using self-collisions in addition to surface collisions, make sure your particle radius is small, otherwise a lot of self-surface contacts will be generated which can get expensive very quickly.

If that's not the case, you can trade speed for accuracy using the solver's "surface collision iterations" setting: less iterations will yield less accurate, but faster surface collisions. See: http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/manua...olver.html

What collision material settings are you using? is there any friction between the cloth and the surface?

let me know how it goes!

kind regards,

Hello!

I've done some more tests today, I think the collision material does affect the physics pretty significantly. I also found out that the surface collision can easily cause the solver to basically "freeze", I'm guessing it's because of the self-surface contacts you mentioned. I think it make sense that when surface collision is turned on, the particle radius should be reduced as surface collision should prevent penetration.

In case I end up not using surface collision due to its impact on the performance, I want to know a bit more about the blueprint creation process for ObiCloth. I'm a bit confused about the amount of particles created in relate to the complexity of the cloth mesh. It looks like the blueprint will create one particle for each indices in the mesh data, but is that really necessary? Because the actual vertex count is much less, as many indices are shared between the triangles.

I mainly want to optimize the performance. I currently have a mesh object with around 9k indices (but it actually has only 1.5k vertices), and I need two instances of them in my simulation. When there is only one instance the fps is around 40, which is good enough, but when I enable two of them, the fps suddenly drops to around 10, which is not usable. I wonder why the performance drops 4 times, there are no contacts between the two instances, either.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Poor performance when enabled surface collision - by snowtv - 09-09-2022, 09:33 PM