Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can you connect ropes to different moving objects?
Hi!

Not entirely sure what I'm looking at in the gif you shared. Looks like the rope has a ObiRopeCursor and it's increasing its length at runtime? You don't need to do that if all you want is to have an object hanging from the gun.

(18-10-2024, 04:26 PM)twocomet Wrote: I wanted to connect these two objects with a rope, and I wanted to specify the minimum length of this rope.
Currently, I don't know if the problem is caused by the rope being too thin and small before specifying the minimum length...

You don't have to do anything in particular to specify a minimum length. All ropes already have a minimum length: the length they have when you create them using the path editor. (aka their rest length).

(18-10-2024, 04:26 PM)twocomet Wrote: Currently, I don't know if the problem is caused by the rope being too thin and small before specifying the minimum length...

Thickness and length aren't related in any way. I get the feeling that you're using a cursor to specify the length of the rope at runtime, instead of just making the rope have the length/shape you need at start (using the blueprint path editor as explained in the setup guide).

Cursors are only useful for ropes that must extend/retract at runtime, like cranes of lift/pulley systems.

(18-10-2024, 04:26 PM)twocomet Wrote: When the character moves, the gun or cup object that is the center of the rope will move attached to the character bone.
Will this become a problem in the future?

Not at all, that is just an attachment. Why would it become a problem? Attaching ropes to objects of any kind (static, animated or physically simulated) is a very basic and well known use case.

kind regards,

Messages In This Thread
RE: Can you connect ropes to different moving objects? - by josemendez - Yesterday, 07:41 AM