Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Request for softwheel/tire demo or tuorial
Hi, I would like to ask if you can consider creating a tutorial on this, I am specifically interested in wheel mesh that will use the obi softbody on low poly  wheel mesh, car/vehicle will use normal unity controller type. It is only the wheels that I would like to behave like softbody. Can I ask you to advise or guide me on this request please?
(21-06-2022, 11:42 PM)khos85 Wrote: Hi, I would like to ask if you can consider creating a tutorial on this, I am specifically interested in wheel mesh that will use the obi softbody on low poly  wheel mesh, car/vehicle will use normal unity controller type. It is only the wheels that I would like to behave like softbody. Can I ask you to advise or guide me on this request please?

Using a particle-based engine for tire deformation is not a good idea. A wheel requires very smooth collision detection that discrete, per-particle based collision cannot achieve. My advice would be to use a custom system specifically designed for wheels. This is roughly the same reason why it's not a good idea to use a convex MeshCollider for wheels, and why there's a special collider type in Unity designed specifically for wheel collision detection.

Moreover, if the tire is a low-poly mesh it is possible you won't get good/meaningful deformation on it regardless of the simulation method used. Meshes need to be subdivided for deformation to look believable.

kind regards,
(21-06-2022, 11:42 PM)khos85 Wrote: Hi, I would like to ask if you can consider creating a tutorial on this, I am specifically interested in wheel mesh that will use the obi softbody on low poly  wheel mesh, car/vehicle will use normal unity controller type. It is only the wheels that I would like to behave like softbody. Can I ask you to advise or guide me on this request please?

Thanks for your reply, it might not be a good idea, but even just as a technical demo would be nice to see Sonrisa would you re-consider, or give some guidelines on how to approach?
I tried this, and the biggest issue I had was attaching the wheel to the vehicle. The attachment point would flex too much, so the wheel had a hard time staying upright, especially when sliding sideways. I really wanted soft wheels for my project, but in the end went with a different solution for the sake of stability.