Obi Official Forum
Obi 7 has been released - Printable Version

+- Obi Official Forum (https://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Obi Developers (https://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Forum: Announcements (https://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/forum/forum-10.html)
+--- Thread: Obi 7 has been released (/thread-4306.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Obi 7 has been released - josemendez - 29-07-2024

(29-07-2024, 02:06 PM)Thibault_EODE Wrote: Ok, the file dont appear in Unity but exists in the directory.
It works after removing the .meta
The content of the original meta file seems corrupt by a git merge ?
Code:
fileFormatVersion: 2

<<<<<<< HEAD

I'm not one to be easily surprised, but WTF Unity? just checked the .meta file in our local repo and the project we uploaded from, and these are its contents (and what you should get when downloading):

Quote:fileFormatVersion: 2
guid: 57e079b439b8f4d71966919ca4fa4838
MonoImporter:
  externalObjects: {}
  serializedVersion: 2
  defaultReferences: []
  executionOrder: 0
  icon: {instanceID: 0}
  userData:
  assetBundleName:
  assetBundleVariant:

Will investigate further and get back to you if necessary, no idea what's happening here. Thanks for reporting this and sorry for the inconvenience!

RE: Obi 7 has been released - Ben_bionic - 30-07-2024

I seem to be having an issue when switching to 7 where when I use a chain renderer and try to change the length of it with obiCursor.ChangeLength(1); the chain just goes away. It works fine in the crane demo scene with the extruded renderer but not with the chain one. I know chains changed a lot so I assume something got missed? I know this worked on the last version of obi since I used it pretty extensively.

RE: Obi 7 has been released - josemendez - 31-07-2024

(30-07-2024, 11:44 PM)Ben_bionic Wrote: when I use a chain renderer and try to change the length of it with obiCursor.ChangeLength(1);

Hi Ben,

The behavior of ChangeLength has changed in Obi 7, the parameter passed is now a change in length, not an absolute target length. Passing "1" will add one meter to the current length of your rope.

(30-07-2024, 11:44 PM)Ben_bionic Wrote: It works fine in the crane demo scene with the extruded renderer but not with the chain one. I know chains changed a lot so I assume something got missed? I know this worked on the last version of obi since I used it pretty extensively.

I'm unable to reproduce this. Swapping the ObiExtrudedRopeRenderer with a ObiRopeChainRenderer in the sample Crane scene works well for me. The chain can change its length and new links are added/removed as a result, the chain doesn't go away:

[Image: RYfCC3o.png]

Keep in mind that chain rendering now uses GPU instancing, so the material you use to render the chain must support GPU instancing. Otherwise an error will be shown in the console and the chain won't be rendered. See:
http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/manual/7.0/roperenderingmodes.html

Quote:The material used for rendering the chain must support GPU instancing, and if you're using the Compute backend, it must support indirect drawing. Obi includes an example of a ShaderGraph indirect instancing shader, which you can find at Obi/Resources/ObiMaterials/Common/Instanced/Compute/ProceduralInstanced.shadergraph.

let me know if this is still an issue,

kind regards

RE: Obi 7 has been released - radius400 - 31-07-2024

just upgraded, no issues. fantastic work!!

one odd thing, it pulled in the Jobs 0.7.0 experimental package which is quite old... i removed it and everything worked fine (as before with 6)... not sure why it pulled that package in, as 6 did not

RE: Obi 7 has been released - Ben_bionic - 01-08-2024

(31-07-2024, 08:08 AM)josemendez Wrote: Hi Ben,

The behavior of ChangeLength has changed in Obi 7, the parameter passed is now a change in length, not an absolute target length. Passing "1" will add one meter to the current length of your rope.

I'm unable to reproduce this. Swapping the ObiExtrudedRopeRenderer with a ObiRopeChainRenderer in the sample Crane scene works well for me. The chain can change its length and new links are added/removed as a result, the chain doesn't go away:

[Image: RYfCC3o.png]

Keep in mind that chain rendering now uses GPU instancing, so the material you use to render the chain must support GPU instancing. Otherwise an error will be shown in the console and the chain won't be rendered. See:
http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/manual/7.0/roperenderingmodes.html

let me know if this is still an issue,

kind regards
looks like the issue I was having was that I had messed with a few things and was changing the length by to much. If you change the length by a large margin as I was doing to try and start with a lot of slack in the chain it would just go away. I now just do it a few times over the first few frames and get the result I was looking for. The only weird thing with chains that I am now fighting with is with the default chain I change it to compute and I get one chain link. I checked and the material is set to "Enable GPU Instancing" but even in the example compute shader scene if I change to a chain renderer I only ever see one link.

RE: Obi 7 has been released - radius400 - 01-08-2024

(31-07-2024, 10:29 PM)radius400 Wrote: just upgraded, no issues. fantastic work!!

one odd thing, it pulled in the Jobs 0.7.0 experimental package which is quite old... i removed it and everything worked fine (as before with 6)... not sure why it pulled that package in, as 6 did not

actually spoke too soon - have a couple of hard crashes and a more minor issue where render layers on my softbody skinned mesh are being ignored during playmode

i'm able to easily A/B test the layer issue by switching commits from obi 6 to 7

is there any info i can send to help debug these issues?

macbook pro M1
unity 6000.0.12

RE: Obi 7 has been released - josemendez - 01-08-2024

(01-08-2024, 12:01 AM)Ben_bionic Wrote: looks like the issue I was having was that I had messed with a few things and was changing the length by to much. If you change the length by a large margin as I was doing to try and start with a lot of slack in the chain it would just go away. I now just do it a few times over the first few frames and get the result I was looking for.

Can't reproduce this either, using ChangeLength(largeValue) draws the entire chain for me. Where/when are you calling ChangeLength()? Is it called in response to user input, or in some Awake()/Start() method?

(01-08-2024, 12:01 AM)Ben_bionic Wrote: The only weird thing with chains that I am now fighting with is with the default chain I change it to compute and I get one chain link. I checked and the material is set to "Enable GPU Instancing" but even in the example compute shader scene if I change to a chain renderer I only ever see one link.

As per the manual:
Quote:The material used for rendering the chain must support GPU instancing, and if you're using the Compute backend, it must support indirect drawing. Obi includes an example of a ShaderGraph indirect instancing shader, which you can find at Obi/Resources/ObiMaterials/Common/Instanced/Compute/ProceduralInstanced.shadergraph.

Indirect drawing support is required when using the Compute backend, since drawcall data is not passed from the CPU but generated on the GPU. If you use a regular instancing material, only one link will be drawn since the amount of instances and their positions are ignored by the material.

kind regards,

RE: Obi 7 has been released - josemendez - 01-08-2024

(01-08-2024, 01:43 AM)radius400 Wrote: actually spoke too soon - have a couple of hard crashes and a more minor issue where render layers on my softbody skinned mesh are being ignored during playmode

is there any info i can send to help debug these issues?

macbook pro M1
unity 6000.0.12

Hi!

Could you send the crash editor log over so that we may take a look at it? Also, which backend were you using (Burst or Compute)? They work quite differently so a crash might happen in one of them but not the other.

Will take a look at the render layers issue.

kind regards,

RE: Obi 7 has been released - radius400 - 02-08-2024

(01-08-2024, 08:03 AM)josemendez Wrote: Hi!

Could you send the crash editor log over so that we may take a look at it? Also, which backend were you using (Burst or Compute)? They work quite differently so a crash might happen in one of them but not the other.

Will take a look at the render layers issue.

kind regards,

unfortunately i could not get a log, i think because i relaunched the editor the log was replaced

was using Burst/CPU backend

i worked with 7 all day today in editor as well as in mobile builds with no issues, so hopefully it was something unrelated, but i'll keep an eye out for it and keep the logs if it happens again

the render layers fix would be much appreciated, we are using them heavily to control lighting

thanks Jose!

RE: Obi 7 has been released - josemendez - 02-08-2024

(02-08-2024, 05:22 AM)radius400 Wrote: the render layers fix would be much appreciated, we are using them heavily to control lighting

thanks Jose!

Hi!

Reproduced and identified the issue with render layers. Will get back to you asap with a fix.

kind regards,