Obi Official Forum

Full Version: Performance drop: Obi cloth 6.2 to 6.4
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi.

I am using ObiCloth6.2 now.
Seeing that 6.4 has memory-related optimizations, so I want to upgrade to 6.2
But I directly update the plugin to 6.4 and do nothing else.
Found extremely slow performance in the Unity editor:
ObiLaterUpdater.LateUpdate() 3ms -> 8ms

Back end: Burst
Jobs Leak Detection: Off
Burst Safety Checks: Off
Unity: 2019.4.25f1
Burst: 1.4.11
Mathematics: 1.2.1
Collections: 0.9.0-preview.6
Hi there!

Optimizations in 6.4 only affect memory allocation, should make no difference in raw performance. These optimizations are:

- Introduced a job handle pool to avoid runtime allocation of handles by both Burst and Oni backends. (instead of allocating new handles every frame, they're pooled).

- Constraint padding array in Burst solver has been turned into a member variable instead of allocating anew it every frame.
(instead of creating a new array every frame, it's created at startup and then populated every frame).

- Collision and friction batches are pooled instead of allocated every frame. (same as with job handles).

The rest of the engine remains unchanged. I've been unable to measure any significant performance differences between 6.2. and 6.4. Would it be possible for you to describe the scene in which you're testing this, and share a picture of Unity's profiler showing this issue?

thanks!