Obi Official Forum

Full Version: Bad performance in editor
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, I'm trying to create a realistic rope with multiple dynamic rigidbody attachments, but there seems to be horrible performance in the editor. 
It works fine on build. Target device is Android/iOS.

Blueprint
Thickness = 0.1
resolution = 0.5
Pooled Particles = 100

solver
[attachment=1125] [attachment=1126]
rope
[attachment=1124]

These are the stats I see
With Single rope -
[attachment=1128]

With 4 ropes
[attachment=1127]

I'm able to simulate them in an android build just fine, but testing the game in editor is a nightmare at 2fps. 
What do I do to improve editor performance?
(04-10-2021, 04:51 AM)linkinb Wrote: [ -> ]Hi, I'm trying to create a realistic rope with multiple dynamic rigidbody attachments, but there seems to be horrible performance in the editor. 
It works fine on build. Target device is Android/iOS.

Blueprint
Thickness = 0.1
resolution = 0.5
Pooled Particles = 100

solver

rope

These are the stats I see
With Single rope -

With 4 ropes

I'm able to simulate them in an android build just fine, but testing the game in editor is a nightmare at 2fps. 
What do I do to improve editor performance?

Hi,

Quoting the manual here: http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/manua...kends.html

Quote:Note that for normal performance when using the Burst backend in-editor, you must enable Burst compilation and disable safety checks, the jobs debugger and job leak detection.

Also, keep in mind that Burst uses asynchronous compilation in the editor by default. This means that the first few frames of simulation will be noticeably slower, as Burst is still compiling jobs while the scene runs. You can enable synchronous compilation in the Jobs->Burst menu, this will force Burst to compile all jobs before entering play mode.

When using the Burst compiler in-editor, the jobs debugger, safety checks and other options will drop your performance to around 20-30% of normal levels. Couple this with the fact that Obi runs in the physics loop by default (Fixed Update) and is hence susceptible to death spiraling == performance can easily drop to 2-3 fps at Unity's default max timestep setting of 0.33 ms.

Also make sure you're not using deep profiling, and other obvious in-editor performance hogs.
(04-10-2021, 07:26 AM)josemendez Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,

Quoting the manual here: http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/manua...kends.html

When using the Burst compiler in-editor, the jobs debugger, safety checks and other options will drop your performance to around 20-30% of normal levels. Couple this will the fact that Obi runs un the physics loop by default (Fixed Update) and is hence susceptible to death spiraling == performance can easily drop to 2-3 fps at Unity's default max timestep setting of 0.33 ms.

Also make sure you're not using deep profiling, and other obvious in-editor performance hogs.

Thank you, that worked perfectly!  Guiño