Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help  Burst not installed?
I'm getting pretty poor performance, which I'm guessing is due to Burst apparently not being active.
The BurstCollisionWorld script is disabled because OBI_BURST is undefined.  I see that the Obi asmdef defines it, as long as the installed version of Burst is at least 1.2.3-verified.  Burst 1.8.12 is installed in the project, so I don't understand what the issue is.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!
(16-07-2024, 01:16 AM)Barliesque Wrote: I'm getting pretty poor performance, which I'm guessing is due to Burst apparently not being active.
The BurstCollisionWorld script is disabled because OBI_BURST is undefined.  I see that the Obi asmdef defines it, as long as the installed version of Burst is at least 1.2.3-verified.  Burst 1.8.12 is installed in the project, so I don't understand what the issue is.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hi,

If Burst is not being used, your ObiSolver component will show a warning like this one:
[Image: burst_warning.png]

Keep in mind that installing the Burst package alone isn't enough, you must install Jobs, Collections and Mathematics too. If any of these is not installed, the engine won't use Burst. Is it only OBI_BURST that's not defined, or are OBI_MATHEMATICS and/or OBI_COLLECTIONS undefined too?

kind regards,
(16-07-2024, 08:14 AM)josemendez Wrote: Hi,

If Burst is not being used, your ObiSolver component will show a warning like this one:
[Image: burst_warning.png]

Keep in mind that installing the Burst package alone isn't enough, you must install Jobs, Collections and Mathematics too. If any of these is not installed, the engine won't use Burst. Is it only OBI_BURST that's not defined, or are OBI_MATHEMATICS and/or OBI_COLLECTIONS undefined too?

kind regards,

Ahh, Collections wasn't installed. Jobs is installed by default as part of Unity's core.  So, with all packages present in the project, I then had the following compile error:

Quote:Assets\Obi\Scripts\Common\Backends\Burst\DataStructures\NativeMultilevelGrid.cs(74,46): error CS1061: 'UnsafeList<K>' does not contain a definition for 'length' and no accessible extension method 'length' accepting a first argument of type 'UnsafeList<K>' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

After thinking something was still wrong with package installation, and wasting more time on that, I found a post on this forum from over a year ago which pointed out that there's a typo on that line. `length` needs to change to `Length`  It would be good if you would apply that fix to the download package.
(16-07-2024, 08:21 PM)Barliesque Wrote: After thinking something was still wrong with package installation, and wasting more time on that, I found a post on this forum from over a year ago which pointed out that there's a typo on that line. `length` needs to change to `Length`  It would be good if you would apply that fix to the download package.

Hi!

Length or length are used depending on the version of the Collections package you install. This kind of small changes are usually handled by Unity's auto API updater, however this one isn't in Unity 2020 and 2021. We were working on an update that used conditional compilation to change the code depending on which version you used, but seems we're somewhat late as they have fixed it in 2022.3 and up and should now be an automatically upgradable change.

Next best thing we could do is to add this to our troubleshooting guide:
http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/manua...oting.html

kind regards,
(17-07-2024, 07:43 AM)josemendez Wrote: Hi!

Length or length are used depending on the version of the Collections package you install. This kind of small changes are usually handled by Unity's auto API updater, however this one isn't in Unity 2020 and 2021. We were working on an update that used conditional compilation to change the code depending on which version you used, but seems we're somewhat late as they have fixed it in 2022.3 and up and should now be an automatically upgradable change.

Next best thing we could do is to add this to our troubleshooting guide:
http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/manua...oting.html

kind regards,

This project is in Unity 2022.3.20 -- maybe the API updater was fixed in a later iteration of 2022.3?  Or maybe it's not as "fixed" as Unity thought?  Yeah, I'd have thought conditional compilation would solve it, but probably not if this was fixed in 2022.3.24 -- I don't think those defines are as granular as that.  Might be good just to add a comment above that line right in the code.

By the way, I've been meaning to mention that the URL in the Getting Started PDF to take new users to the manual is broken.  Also, the FAQ on this forum has a broken link.
(17-07-2024, 08:28 PM)Barliesque Wrote: This project is in Unity 2022.3.20 -- maybe the API updater was fixed in a later iteration of 2022.3?  Or maybe it's not as "fixed" as Unity thought?  Yeah, I'd have thought conditional compilation would solve it, but probably not if this was fixed in 2022.3.24 -- I don't think those defines are as granular as that.  Might be good just to add a comment above that line right in the code.

Just checked in 2022.3.33f1, it's fixed there. Not sure about 2022.3.24, will try it later.

(17-07-2024, 08:28 PM)Barliesque Wrote: By the way, I've been meaning to mention that the URL in the Getting Started PDF to take new users to the manual is broken. 

Do you mean the "Manual" link in the very last sentence in the PDF? Works fine for me, just tested. It should take you to http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/tutorials

I've recently been made aware of a bug (feature?) in Chrome that turns http links to https ones, and the resulting URL doesn't exist. Chrome users have reported the link being broken/incorrect when in fact it was fine: Chrome was just messing with it. Maybe this is what's happening to you?

(17-07-2024, 08:28 PM)Barliesque Wrote: Also, the FAQ on this forum has a broken link.

Could you point me to the specific link that doesn't work?

kind regards
No need to test Unity 2022.3.24 — that was just an arbitrary minor version after the one I’m on, which is 2022.3.20.

I’m away from the computer at the moment and found the FAQ link works from my phone, running the mobile version of Chrome.  I do use Chrome on my desktop, so maybe that bug/feature is unique to the desktop version???  I’ll have another look later.