Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help  helicopter hook
Any guide or example on making a rope that works like a helicopter hook, ie bit like the jungle strike games.. where the end of the hook can latch onto gameobjects to pick them and swing them, but also hoist them up so the rope length would get shorter?

is this something simple that can be done with obi rope?
(26-06-2024, 11:19 PM)Koolio Wrote: Any guide or example on making a rope that works like a helicopter hook, ie bit like the jungle strike games.. where the end of the hook can latch onto gameobjects to pick them and swing them, but also hoist them up so the rope length would get shorter?

is this something simple that can be done with obi rope?

Hi,

The Crane and FreightLift sample scenes contain ropes that can be lengthened/shortened, and have a Rigidbody attached to their end (this would be your hook). The only missing piece is latching another object to the hook, which would be done using joints.

kind regards,
(27-06-2024, 07:54 AM)josemendez Wrote: Hi,

The Crane and FreightLift sample scenes contain ropes that can be lengthened/shortened, and have a Rigidbody attached to their end (this would be your hook). The only missing piece is latching another object to the hook, which would be done using joints.

kind regards,

I had a look, (wish you would make docs better, or even making the little Unity (?) icon actually goto the Obi help page on that component, was looking at Obi Particular attachment and Particle Attachment is not even showin the side bar :S ..but it was there as Attachment .. 

anyway yes not tried doing anything with Unity joints, playing around with changing the attachment Target to something else makes the rope jump.. so I guesss that kinda works.. its bit rough though. 

If you ever get around to making another demo scene I'd love to see one like this as an example of of picking up and dropping objects... looks like it might be doable anyway.
(28-06-2024, 12:20 AM)Koolio Wrote: I had a look, (wish you would make docs better, or even making the little Unity (?) icon actually goto the Obi help page on that component, was looking at Obi Particular attachment and Particle Attachment is not even showin the side bar :S ..but it was there as Attachment .. )

All components in Obi have the "Obi" prefix, in the documentation's side menu they appear without the prefix for legibility: ObiSolver appears as Solver, ObiUpdater as Updater, ObiEmitter as Emitter, ObiCollisionMaterial as Collision Material, etc.

(28-06-2024, 12:20 AM)Koolio Wrote: anyway yes not tried doing anything with Unity joints, playing around with changing the attachment Target to something else makes the rope jump.. so I guesss that kinda works.. its bit rough though. 

Changing the attachment's target at runtime doesn't make much sense in this context: you'd have just a rope with no hook at the end or anything that could pick up other objects, objects would be picked up by the rope directly instead.

kind regards,
(28-06-2024, 12:20 PM)All components in Obi have the Wrote: Well regardless the (?) help icon on each component should ideally actually goto that scripts help page, would be so much more useful. https://www.reddit.com/r/Unity3D/comment.../#lightbox

And by attachment I meant the Obi attachment component script which has a way of selecting another gameobject that is attached...which seemed to work at runtime... But I'm thinking more of just a magnent at the end of the rope, just the scripting of how that works with pulling another detached gameobject towards it and then attaching it so that it can't detach unless allowed via script/button... but you said use a unity rigid body joints?   
[quote pid='16013' dateline='1719573623']
Well by attachment I meant the Obi attachment component script which has a way of selecting another gameobject that is attached....  I'm thinking more of just a magnent at the end of the rope, but the scripting of how that works with pulling another detached gameobject towards it and then attaching it so that it can't detach unless allowed via script... but you said use a joints 
[/quote]

Well by attachment I meant the Obi attachment component script which has a way of selecting another gameobject that is attached....  I'm thinking more of just a magnent at the end of the rope, but the scripting of how that works with pulling another detached gameobject towards it and then attaching it so that it can't detach unless allowed via script... but you said use a joints 
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

(28-06-2024, 03:17 PM)Koolio Wrote: [quote pid='16013' dateline='1719573623']

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]