Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suggestion / Idea  Elastic Stretch Arm for VR Avatar Hands with Physics
Hello,
I happen to be in the middle of a VR hackathon and I've been tasked with developing a stretchy arm for our first person player.   I would like to apply custom hands and forearm to the player skeleton and add the ability that when they grab something, they can outstretch their arms like "elastic man" to position the object far away from them.  It also would be nice if I could a apply a bit of curve and flexibily to the arm.  But the hand should still be able to have it's basic vR functions untinterrupted.

I mostly use Obi rope for cable and rope simulations but it occurred to me that I could try the stretch + Bone components in my scenario.    I would just need to know for sure if it's realistic thinking that I can access the stretch distance parameters via thumbstick controller if I wanted.

I would appreciate any tips or ideas in this direction while I continue trying to hack it out based on documentation.  
Thanks much

Here's a reference I found of someone with a different type of mechanic using stretchy arms...  I wish to make something that is more slow and controlled.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nM81-lH79YE
Hi,

The ObiBone component follows a skeletal animation. You could just animate the position of bones in a skeleton (in your case, setting the position of the wrist w.r.t. the elbow) to have the simulation follow it.

kind regards,