Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's the "Generate" button on fluid blueprint for?
I'm a bit confused about what this "Generate" button is for. It seems the changes on parameters take effect without using this button. When do I need to press it?
(11-04-2024, 04:31 AM)kodra Wrote: I'm a bit confused about what this "Generate" button is for. It seems the changes on parameters take effect without using this button. When do I need to press it?

Clicking "Generate" creates a new pool of particles with the specified parameters.

Some parameters like viscosity or surface tension are read by emitters directly, so changing them will make any emitters using the blueprint to emit particles with updated values from that point on. However, already emitted particles are unaffected.

Any parameter that changes the amount/size of particles (like rest density, capacity or resolution) requires pressing "Generate" to update the blueprint.

For a long time we've debated whether it would be good to automatically Generate the blueprint upon detecting a change in any of its parameters (for instance using OnValidate()), however generation can take a few seconds for larger blueprints so we deemed it a better option to allow the user to re-generate the blueprint on demand.

kind regards,
(11-04-2024, 07:43 AM)josemendez Wrote: Clicking "Generate" creates a new pool of particles with the specified parameters.

Some parameters like viscosity or surface tension are read by emitters directly, so changing them will make any emitters using the blueprint to emit particles with updated values from that point on. However, already emitted particles are unaffected.

Any parameter that changes the amount/size of particles (like rest density, capacity or resolution) requires pressing "Generate" to update the blueprint.

For a long time we've debated whether it would be good to automatically Generate the blueprint upon detecting a change in any of its parameters (for instance using OnValidate()), however generation can take a few seconds for larger blueprints so we deemed it a better option to allow the user to re-generate the blueprint on demand.

kind regards,

Thank you for the answer!

Perhaps the ideal solution is to show a warning on the inspector when those parameters changed but not regenerated, similar to how "Bind" in ObiSoftbodySkinner turns red when it's not bound to the mesh? It's a quite minor feature obviously.